Snarky Brides

Opinions

I think Nebb posted the last one of these and I liked it a lot. To play, just state an opinion popular or unpopular. Controversial is good, non controversial is good too.

As some of you know, I come from a seriously Liberal background, H is Democrat all the way and the majority of the time I vote Democrat. I still think this President has been a major disappointment and I am sorry I voted for him. I wish I would have went with an Independent instead.

Re: Opinions

• State Fair food has no calories, fat, salt, or carbs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:ea48f752-5a0d-45cc-b20e-694ed7d8299c">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]State Fair food has no calories, fat, salt, or carbs.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha I wish
  • <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:ba8708ff-420d-4ff1-a240-edf7e9235cf7">Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think Nebb posted the last one of these and I liked it a lot. To play, just state an opinion popular or unpopular. Controversial is good, non controversial is good too. As some of you know, I come from a seriously Liberal background, H is Democrat all the way and the majority of the time I vote Democrat. I still think this President has been a major disappointment and I am sorry I voted for him. I wish I would have went with an Independent instead.
    Posted by Lenore2010[/QUOTE]

It hurts me to say, but I'm in total agreement with you.

My opinion...I judge otherwise healthy (i.e. their weight is a result of their bad choices, not a health issue) people who are 100 or less pounds overweight, but use weight loss surgery as their cure. Same with diet pills or shots. And I get really offended when they assume that I took that route.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:ea48f752-5a0d-45cc-b20e-694ed7d8299c">Re: Opinions</a>:

We live in the same fantasy land. I heart you.
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:70a5c599-6fc6-4289-92bf-cbd07e64b654">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Opinions : It hurts me to say, but I'm in total agreement with you. My opinion...<strong>I judge otherwise healthy (i.e. their weight is a result of their bad choices, not a health issue) people who are 100 or less pounds overweight,</strong> but use weight loss surgery as their cure. Same with diet pills or shots. And I get really offended when they assume that I took that route.
    Posted by runningbride80[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah me too.  Except I am overweight, but I blame it on nothing other than my choices.</div><div>
    </div><div>Do you mind me asking how much you've lost? You look great it your little avatar picture!

</div>
  • I don't get TTD sessions. Did you not get enough pictures of you in your dress on your wedding day and now you need an extra hour or two of MORE dress pictures? Really?
  • <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:f58e0cee-c2d2-4d6e-bc99-e0f42be91651">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions : Yeah me too.  Except I am overweight, but I blame it on nothing other than my choices. Do you mind me asking how much you've lost? You look great it your little avatar picture!

Thank you! I've lost about 105...it was a little more, but that got really hard to maintain. I feel much better where I am now. :-)

FWIW, I kind of feel like an a$$hole for being so judgemental...but I feel like surgery is not going to help someone if they aren't willing to commit to the lifestyle it entails or they don't work on their issues, and some of these people just don't get that.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:ea48f752-5a0d-45cc-b20e-694ed7d8299c">Re: Opinions</a>:

Don't tell me that's not true!

We can't go to the fair this year due to already spending our monthly road-trip money on a vacation last week.  So... I'm frying up cheese curds, making footlong corndogs, and squeezing some fresh lemonade for dinner tonight.

H says that fair food doesn't count.  So Ha!
  • Ohmygosh, Running!  Congrats!  That's so impressive.  

I think it's better on your body, too, to do it the 'healthy' way.  I get that there are some people who really have no other options, but for most people, diet and exercise are all you need.  Now I just need to convince myself to diet and exercise ;)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:ee464d98-1b78-4f62-9146-eac0784464e2">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions : Thank you! I've lost about 105...it was a little more, but that got really hard to maintain. I feel much better where I am now. :-) FWIW, I kind of feel like an a$$hole for being so judgemental...but I feel like surgery is not going to help someone if they aren't willing to commit to the lifestyle it entails or they don't work on their issues, and some of these people just don't get that.
    Posted by runningbride80[/QUOTE]
    My mom is one of those people.

Too lazy to lose it on her own so she got the lap band.  She could only eat tiny portions at a time and instead of choosing healthy options, she still ate chicken strips, fries, pizza and other junk.
  • Thanks, Steph! It took a really long time, but I'm glad I did it that way. As cliche as it sounds, I could really do this for the rest of my life. Of course, I have my splurges and such (what kind of life could it really be without cheesecake?) but it's just part of life. 

• This opinion is likely to be highly controversial but I wonder about how having two working parents has affected children over the past 30/40 years...

I am not saying I have a problem with working mothers (or working fathers) but I wonder how having two working parents as opposed to having one at home (traditionally the mother) has affected children socially, academically, emotionally...

Part of my interest in this issue has to do with being a teacher but part of it also has to do with my being a woman who is considering if she wants to have children or not based on the fact that I can't be a SAHM (there is no way we can swing just one income).
  • also, I don't think I actually had an 'opinion' in my post...but I think it could be interpreted that I had a problem with working moms, which I don't. I might just have a problem with me being a working mom!
  • I hate phrases such as "cool kids" and "trying to hard." When people use either of those phrases or "eye roll" I think they aren't capable of forming a salient argument and are also rather arrogant.
  • Number- We talked about this in sociology a little bit. There have been studies looking at juvenile criminal activity and latch-key kids. You could find a lot of info. on it if you're really interested.

There is a big difference between working parents and un-involved parents though.
  • Okay, here goes. This kind of came up on TB the other day and I didn't say anything because I personally know a bumpie that it applies to.

I think it's irresponsible of women to try for a second baby when their health was compromised and/or delivery with the first was risky, even if doctors give the green light. Why not just be thankful for the one healthy baby you have despite all the complications, and continue on with life? (The girl I know had to have abdominal surgery during pregnancy because of previous health issues that were complicated by her being pregnant. She had colitis and choleostasis (itching) during her pregnancy, then had a 45 hour labor and ended up with a c-section and a post-partum infection.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:d7f8caff-9683-4dc6-bac1-b0776f0a6f8e">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Number- We talked about this in sociology a little bit. There have been studies looking at juvenile criminal activity and latch-key kids. You could find a lot of info. on it if you're really interested. There is a big difference between working parents and un-involved parents though.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

<div>yeah, I know there is a lot of info out there about it...I can't imagine there wouldn't be by now!  And I completely agree with your last point. I see so many un-involved parents...</div>
  • Its hard to have involved parents if they both work, mine tried it but I still feel like my nanny did most of the work.  If we could do a one income home we would. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:f58e0cee-c2d2-4d6e-bc99-e0f42be91651">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions : Yeah me too.  <strong>Except I am overweight, but I blame it on nothing other than my choices.</strong> Do you mind me asking how much you've lost? You look great it your little avatar picture!

<div>I agree with you. Choices play the biggest part, metabolism I think does have a role. I had a roommate in collage who ate constantly, did no exercise other than walking from class to class and was thin as a rail. Even by then, I had to watch what I was eating. Then I kinda, er. stopped doing that. Got the big ol' butt to show for my non-effort.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think most people realize what life is like after weight loss surgery. I now have four friends who did it. Three I think seriously needed to, one was questionable (turned down by a few Drs). 2-6 years later, not one of them can eat more than 3/4 cup at a meal. One told me he wishes that he could have one piece of chicken with some vegis and a half cup of potatoes for dinner, but that is just to much food for him now and his misses normal meals. Another can not eat any refined sugar at all or she throws up. I mean, no cheesecake for her ever again. Wow. I think doing it the natural way and having some balance would be far better. Now, I just have to keep plugging at the weight loss!!</div><div>
    </div><div>Congrats RB, people like you inspire me!</div>
  • brookelyn...I worry about stuff like that because I might be a mother later in my life and I know that that in and of itself raises the risks for my baby...I think a lot about that...if it is selfish to want a baby when the risks for problems is higher.
  • I shop at Wal-Mart by choice. The clientele doesn't bother me, and I am able to save money, which is something I really have to do. I do not make enough money to be "socially conscious" with my spending.
  • We also shop at walmart, when we make enough money we won't, but for now, thats just how it goes. 
  • I think anyone can have risks. Any of us who get pregnant could have complications. I just can't imagine going through what my former-friend did in her pregnancy and delivery, then look at her sweet baby boy and think about doing it all again, at the risk that things may not go so well the second time around.And this time, she wouldn't just possibly leave a husband behind, but a son as well.  It's actually part of why we're not friends anymore. I'm a shitty person for being so judgemental, but I just couldn't find it in myself to be supportive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Brookleyn made me think of my really unpopular one.
    If you want to have a kid, but aren't willing to adopt if you can't get pregnant, I think you are more concerned with it being genetically yours than doing the actual raising of the child.
    I can see being really, really upset if you can't get pregnant, but if your really want to be a mom or dad, why wouldn't you consider adoption or fostering? I know adoption is expensive, but that is a whole seperate issue.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:d6039b60-4aa8-470b-9f2c-4a59ab6aba74">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate phrases such as "cool kids" and "trying to hard." When people use either of those phrases or "eye roll" I think they aren't capable of forming a salient argument and are also rather arrogant.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Ever notice the same people who insist other people think they are the "cool kids" are the same people who insist that those people are "trying to hard," thus trying to cement their own "cool kid" status? The penchant for trying to create outsider vs insider status on here is so odd to me because for the most part, most people have their group of friends on here and that's how it is. Aside from some serious wackos, or a few lone wolf types, every one here has mostly defined themselves alrready. It may not be what you want to be part of, or you may judge others for the group they chose, but it just makes you looks like an ass to constantly self aggrandize and constantly highlight your own choices. It actually really only makes posters who constantly use this language look sadly insecure which has been confusing me considering I never used to see those posters as insecure.
  • I know this is incredibly unpopular, but I feel that the government should be able to step in and force sterilization on certain people.

My youngest brother was adopted from a foster family. One of the other kids was a little girl who had 8 other siblings in the foster care system. She was the youngest, and was referred to as "lucky" because she was born in prison, and it forced her mother to be "clean" most of her pregnancy. Most of her siblings where born addicted to crack and a few had been diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome ... and to boot, there were like 5 different baby-daddies in the picture. The 3 siblings born before her were put into the system immediately after being born.

I know it would have to be super-regulated, but when I hear stuff like that, yeah, I think somebody should step in and force that woman to get her tubes tied. Clearly, she's not smart enough to figure BC on her own (Neither are the men she's sleeping with) and all she's doing is putting unwanted, unhealthy kids into an already over-crowded system.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Numby, FWIW, my parents both worked full time when I was growing up. My mom actually went to school full time and worked full time when I was in elementary school. My older sister would "watch" me during the day, but in reality, I was by myself. I don't think this has really had a negative effect on me. I watched a shitload of tv, though, but that has helped me in pop culture trivia situations. I managed to stay out of trouble, graduate from high school and college with honors and be a semi-responsible adult. I guess growing up, I knew that my parents had to work in order for my sister and me to do all the things they weren't able to do. And when they did get home, they were loving and caring and supportive and stuff. I was a pretty self-sufficient child, though.
  • Also, after reading FFF my (very?) unpopular opinion is that I thought Heels was being super tounge in cheek with her GBCK. For all the people who said she had been here long enough know it was an AW move, you would think those same people would know she was overplaying the GBCK as that is her sense of humor.
  • M&M- mhmm. Honestly, there are tons of people I really enjoy on these boards, but come one, does anyone genuinely think that people would make a concerted effort to be liked? Being outspoken does not mean you are trying to hard.
       And if you think someone is "trying to hard" you must think rather highly of yourself to believe anyone gives a damn whether or not you like them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a01eea2-042a-4947-956c-1aee76dc6974Post:f37f1829-4113-4e2c-8843-6469399b168e">Re: Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this is incredibly unpopular, but I feel that the government should be able to step in and force sterilization on certain people. My youngest brother was adopted from a foster family. One of the other kids was a little girl who had 8 other siblings in the foster care system. She was the youngest, and was referred to as "lucky" because she was born in prison, and it forced her mother to be "clean" most of her pregnancy. Most of her siblings where born addicted to crack and a few had been diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome ... and to boot, there were like 5 different baby-daddies in the picture. The 3 siblings born before her were put into the system immediately after being born. I know it would have to be super-regulated, but when I hear stuff like that, yeah, I think somebody should step in and force that woman to get her tubes tied. Clearly, she's not smart enough to figure BC on her own (Neither are the men she's sleeping with) and all she's doing is putting unwanted, unhealthy kids into an already over-crowded system.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

I very much agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards