1789101113»

Re: I judge...

• Options
    Wow I judge that.
  • Options
    LDYGTR13LDYGTR13 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    When I was 3, on the morning of my third birthday party, I went in my moms room, pointed to a spot on my bits and said "It scratches mommy!" and she took me to the doc and found out I had chicken pox. 

She called all of the parents and told them what was going on and if their kids had already had the chicken pox they were welcome to come. Lots of parents brought their kids ANYWAY so they could get chicken pox before going to kindergarten and get it over with. 

Of course, this was 1988.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:44a3c1b5-e8e3-48ce-9b4d-7348430c34e4">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was 3, on the morning of my third birthday party, I went in my moms room, pointed to a spot on my bits and said "It scratches mommy!" and she took me to the doc and found out I had chicken pox.  She called all of the parents and told them what was going on and if their kids had already had the chicken pox they were welcome to come. Lots of parents brought their kids ANYWAY so they could get chicken pox before going to kindergarten and get it over with.  Of course, this was 1988.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is one of those things that was a great idea 20 years ago, because them having them at young age is much safer, than when they are older. But now, you have other options. I don't judge the people that do it too much (the threat of autism is a powerful thing for people that believe that vaccines are what causes it) but I wish they would open their minds a bit, or at least do some research.
  • Options
    I was home schooled and got chicken pox when I was 15 or 16 from a kid in a mothers morning out group I volunteered at. At the time I was concerned I was going to die and I don't remember a few weeks of my life. I have scars all over my body, it was terrible.

My husband had them as a 6 month old and doesn't remember it.

My kid will be vaccinated.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:44a3c1b5-e8e3-48ce-9b4d-7348430c34e4">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was 3, on the morning of my third birthday party, I went in my moms room, pointed to a spot on my bits and said "It scratches mommy!" and she took me to the doc and found out I had chicken pox.  She called all of the parents and told them what was going on and if their kids had already had the chicken pox they were welcome to come. Lots of parents brought their kids ANYWAY so they could get chicken pox before going to kindergarten and get it over with.  Of course, this was 1988.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, before the vax, it was definitely preferable to get it and have it over with at a young age, since they say it's worse if you're older. I had it when I was 6 and I don't remember it being that bad.

My cousin was an only child, and she didn't get it until her son got it, when she was 30. Ouch.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:f2416f24-b57b-4403-90f8-6b0a166d82a7">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could never bring my cat to work. He would whiny meow all day long. All day.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get away with the others, but this guy is special.
  • Options
    Yikes, I can't imagine getting it later in life. I don't remember getting them, but my mom always tells the story of me walking in and showing her my first pock lol. 

My kids will be vaccinated. Not getting vaccinated doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I don't think it was a px party per se, but when one person at my babysitters got it, our parents all chose to have us stay there and everyone got it. It was right before I started kindergarten and my parents just wanted to get it over with before fall. But yeah, that was the '80s before the vaccine.

I'm allergic to the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine, so I need everybody else to get that vaccine!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Ugh, I had it when I was about 13, over spring break! It was awful. My baby sister (about 2) got it too and it barely affected her. I could hardly move. Our neighbors were fine with their son (also 2) playing with her and of course he got it, and it was out of the way.  My middle sister somehow never got it. A few months later we heard about the vaccine and my parents made sure my middle sister got it, just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Chicken pox was 3rd grade for me, so '85 or '86.  Two weeks on the couch, doing jigsaw puzzles, and taking outmeal baths.  Not painful, but definitely itchy.

My poor mom ended up with shingles last year, and that was pretty awful for her.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:I judge...:[QUOTE]And it's in the bible not to mark your body...so if you're so religious that you need to tattoo it on yourself, you should know that. Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

One of my bridesmaids has a hebrew tattoo that means "set apart". I couldn't help but laugh out loud...since the bible says to set yourself apart by not tattooing yourself. Or something along those lines. I love the girl to death, though!
    photo JamieMasonWedding-8992-S.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:36cb3239-62b9-4bf5-8c8b-9e99334653bb">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : Same here! I saw two little (about 2 and 4) girls so fat that they couldn't hardly even walk, much less run and keep up with the other kids. They literally were WADDLING. The two year old couldnt even stand up on her own, she had to pull up on other people or a chair.
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

:'(  That breaks my heart!  Those poor kids.....How can a parent be allowed to so blatantly abuse their children like that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards