Wedding Etiquette Forum

Worst Wedding You've Ever Been To?

Re: Worst Wedding You've Ever Been To?

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    dmyrick78 said: Now, I pretty much dislike most wedding food, but one wedding stood out in my mind. I went to a  Catholic wedding that was 1 hour and 45 minutes long.  The priest had mentioned that this wedding was as god had intended... between a man and a woman. The priest went on to say that homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia pervert gods will. WOW.  Still cannot believe the priest was talking about bestiality.  Then he went on  to say a woman's duty is to be submissive to her man, and to keep herself beautiful and attractive for him, as her body is his body, now. DOUBLE WOW.  One of the groomsmen shouted for the groom to (pardon my language) "do her in the butt", when the question arose if anyone had any reservations to their union.  I was so tempted to walk out of the church. I pulled it together and drove an hour away to the venue.  No cocktail hour, dinner was served an hour late and cold. The priest made another inappropriate prayer, but at least the day was salvaged and the couple had a blast on the dance floor and hopefully excommunicated from that church as soon as they got back from their honeymoon. I had been to 3 other Catholic weddings that summer, where the priest said a woman's duty is to be submissive to her husband, and some anti-gay message peppered into a marriage of  a man and a woman. (it was their day, not a day for someone to spout politics). --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ETA: Stupid quotes
    Does he actually read his Bible?  I'm guessing he left out the part
    right after that in the same verse that says his body is her body.
  • @dymrick78  I have been to a lot of catholic weddings and I know that the reading about the creation of woman (Adam and Eve) it is about the man giving his rib to a woman and in that reading it says that her body is his body. I don't think in those words but it is something along those lines.  

Either way, I have never heard a priest talk about homosexuality or anything else that the church would view as negative during a wedding. That is like talking about divorce in a toast.  Actually though, during the rehearsal form my FI's sister's wedding the coordinator at the church said to my FI's mom "I hope they have a long and happy marriage.  My daughter got married here last year but they're divorced now.  Hope you guys have more luck"  
  • You'd love my church then my associate pastors a woman and she's awesome! She is our officiant
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014
    dmyrick78 said:
    Now, I pretty much dislike most wedding food, but one wedding stood out in my mind. I went to a  Catholic wedding that was 1 hour and 45 minutes long.  The priest had mentioned that this wedding was as god had intended... between a man and a woman. The priest went on to say that homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia pervert gods will. WOW.  Still cannot believe the priest was talking about bestiality.  Then he went on  to say a woman's duty is to be submissive to her man, and to keep herself beautiful and attractive for him, as her body is his body, now. DOUBLE WOW.  One of the groomsmen shouted for the groom to (pardon my language) "do her in the butt", when the question arose if anyone had any reservations to their union.  I was so tempted to walk out of the church. I pulled it together and drove an hour away to the venue.  No cocktail hour, dinner was served an hour late and cold. The priest made another inappropriate prayer, but at least the day was salvaged and the couple had a blast on the dance floor and hopefully excommunicated from that church as soon as they got back from their honeymoon. I had been to 3 other Catholic weddings that summer, where the priest said a woman's duty is to be submissive to her husband, and some anti-gay message peppered into a marriage of  a man and a woman. (it was their day, not a day for someone to spout politics).

I so would have walked out.
  • My cousin's wedding was AWFUL.

Unfortunately, he decided to marry my sworn enemy from junior high and high school who was incredibly homely looking. It must be true about how being ugly on the inside makes you ugly on the outside. Throughout their wedding planning process, I get continual calls from my aunt complaining that the Bride isn't including her in any part of the planning, just sending her an email every two weeks with what my cousin's parents are expected to put out for the arrangements being made. Day of, I convince my Fi to attend with me. So we travel to the location-a ranch. Red flag. Parking was ridiculous, a twelve year old doing donuts in a golf cart was directing guests on the parking. Get out of the car-step in horse poop. The parking lot was absolutely covered in it. Then, we walk up this half mile long gravel driveway, tiptoeing through the tulips horse poop. At least I was not the only guest suffering to make the trek in heels.

So once we get up to the run-down barn where we're assuming the ceremony/reception is in (no signs to point us in the right direction, and yucky barn anyway). Fi and I go inside the barn and are suddenly overcome with the fantastic smell of horse poop. I nearly gag, and the poor woman behind us actually heaves and has to step outside. After roaming around the barn with only a few brave souls and the stench of fecal matter for company, I finally get a call from my aunt wondering where we are. Turns out, we were not supposed to enter the barn (who knew?!) and instead walk another half mile in gravel and horse poop around the back of the barn to the ceremony.

The ceremony was outside in the pasture. In Utah July weather. It was 102 that day. Here we are, guests to an unfortunate situation, sitting in a freaking pasture batting flies away and attempting to keep our gag reflex in check. Ceremony begins.

The groom walks down the aisle first to some really classic music. Okay, so kind of weird, but the music made me think this wasn't as bad as it was going to be. Red Flag. Each groomsmen walks down separately, to this weird dance remix of classical songs. Then the radio does this weird record scratch, and starts a really upbeat mix of some Bruno Mars and other poppy wedding songs. RED FLAG. RUN. RUN NOW. The bridesmaids dance two at a time down the aisle, not like, nice classy dancing (but really, how classy can you be dancing down the aisle?), but at the club grinding type of dancing. Ugh. Then the music cuts away to a wedding march, and the bride walks down. WTF.

During the Ceremony, the Officiant kept making these really uncomfortable jokes and kept staring at the bride with crazy lustful eyes. Super uncomfortable. The ceremony finishes, and the families are carted away for two hours of pictures in a hot, dusty pasture. Needless to say the Bride's dress was disgusting when the Ceremony was finished. Afterwards, guests were invited into the ATTIC OF THE BARN for a meal. We ended up walking up this giant, grated spiral staircase (where everyone's heels slipped through), into this really hot, hay filled barn attic. They didn't even move the hay bales, just set the food on top of random bales and had everyone sit on them as well. No decorations, but had set up rotating fans which blew hay pieces and the delightful smell of horses around. The older and/or disabled folk were left to left to starve or die from heat exhaustion in the pasture I assume, as none of them could make it up the staircase. I was unaware I was attending a wagon train re-enactment. The food was disgusting, as I figured it would be. Cold and no flavor. 

Fi and I left after that, we couldn't stand a minute more. I regret not staying to see what a trainwreck (wagonwreck?) the Reception ended up being. Apparently the bride stepped in horse poop multiple times and was SHOCKED about it. Huh.
    I don't think ANYONE can top this!
  • I have nightmares about my wedding turning out like this. I think bad weddings run in my family. Another cousin who got married up on Oregon had a total Bridezilla for a wife. She wouldn't let her crippled, wheelchair bound bridesmaid sister into the pictures with the rest of the wedding party because she thought the pictures would be ruined. When she was finally talked into letting her sister in, Bridezilla wouldn't let her sister be in a wheelchair and made her dad go buy a nice, tall chair instead. Shortly afterward, she noticed my Fi's diabetes pump tube was sticking out of his shirt. It's a very thin, clear tube that connects your skin to the pump that sits in your pocket. She threw a huge tantrum over it and made him take out his pump and subjected the wedding party to another two hours of pictures. That was an adventure.
    NOT ENOUGH NOPE.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    phira said:
    I have nightmares about my wedding turning out like this. I think bad weddings run in my family. Another cousin who got married up on Oregon had a total Bridezilla for a wife. She wouldn't let her crippled, wheelchair bound bridesmaid sister into the pictures with the rest of the wedding party because she thought the pictures would be ruined. When she was finally talked into letting her sister in, Bridezilla wouldn't let her sister be in a wheelchair and made her dad go buy a nice, tall chair instead. Shortly afterward, she noticed my Fi's diabetes pump tube was sticking out of his shirt. It's a very thin, clear tube that connects your skin to the pump that sits in your pocket. She threw a huge tantrum over it and made him take out his pump and subjected the wedding party to another two hours of pictures. That was an adventure.
    NOT ENOUGH NOPE.
    Yikes.  My family is full of diabetics.  The minute she started up with them with this complete fucking bullshit, they'd all stalk out and never have anything to do with her again.
  • This really is not bad compared to some of these stories, but I'm in a sharing mood. This was our friend's wedding a few months back. It was a low budget affair and the bride and groom really didn't care about details. Both of these things are fine in and of themselves, but when combined, they can make for a pretty awkward wedding.

First and foremost, to "save money" they made a Facebook event instead of sending out all the invitations. Since I wasn't friends with either of them on Facebook at the time, only my fiance was "invited" (but I knew I was too, they made that clear.) They relied on guests to post their dinner selection in the event, which must have been an absolute nightmare from a coordination standpoint. 

The wedding was held at a local Marriott. The ceremony was in a small, and very dark, meeting room. We're talking lights dimmed all the way down low. We could hardly see them and the photographer flash was very distracting. I think the lights must have been so low to hide the fact that it was a standard meeting room, complete with generic southwest art. The ceremony itself was beautiful, they had a very nice officiant and it was really nice. But, I couldn't hear half of it in our place in the back of the room because they were setting up the bar right outside, so I was hearing ice being poured and glasses clanging the whole time. 

Ok man and wife, kiss the bride. Yay! They then walked back down the isle to Drop Kick Murphy, which was really out of place, I could totally tell that was the groom's choice. After that, music was cut, and we all filed out. Bride, groom and family slip away for photos and we're just standing there, in a wide hallway with no idea of where we're supposed to be or how long we're supposed to wait. 

The only things that suggested cocktail hour were the now set up bar and a table with two platters on top of chaffing dishes in the corner. There wasn't any music and most of the guests had wondered off. There was a sign at the bar saying that the alcohol was being provided by the bride and groom for about two hours and after that it was cash. I didn't actually  mind this because I knew how low their budget was. But needless to say, we spent the next two hours getting pretty lit while they took photos. 

At some point they direct us into the reception room, which was equally dark. We then had to sit through the most uncomfortable reception ever. First and foremost, my fiance and I and another couple were called up to the front at the very beginning for some kiss off that was really uncomfortable and embarrassing. We were basically asked to make out in front of everyone. Yes, I'll take another glass of wine please. 

But the real problem was that they were trying to have a big, rowdy, dance-filled reception with only about 50 guests, most of whom had no intention on dancing. The DJ kept trying to get us up and dancing. We were willing, but hardly anyone else was which made it pretty awkward for everyone. At some point, not too late into the evening, the groom, who was sufficiently drunk at this point in time and not happy with his guests' lack of dancing, grabbed the mic and started doing kareoke to "Sweet Caroline" and pulling people onto the dance floor. He ended up keeping the mic and "MC'ing" for another hour or so before finally someone convinced him to give it up.

Great couple, the sweetest, most caring people you can imagine. I love them to death, but I hated their wedding. I feel like a lot of the awkwardness could have been avoided if they just spent a little bit more time thinking about details and the realities of who they invited and what they could expect.
  • @SBmini That's pretty terrible. I mean, I get wanting to have lots of dancing at your wedding, and I get wanting to downplay some bad hotel decor, but sometimes, it's just better to have a more laid-back, non-dancy reception, and just let people see the crappy hotel decor because they know that you didn't pick the place for the artwork. Ya know?

Also, sounds like the groom was a Sox fan?
    Anniversary
  • dmyrick78 said:
    Now, I pretty much dislike most wedding food, but one wedding stood out in my mind... it went far beyond bad food.  I went to a  Catholic wedding that was 1 hour and 45 minutes long.  The priest had mentioned that this wedding was as god had intended... between a man and a woman. The priest went on to say that homosexuality, bestiality and pedophilia pervert gods will. WOW.  Still cannot believe the priest was talking about bestiality... and lumped homosexuality in the same category, as if they were the same thing! Then he went on  to say a woman's duty is to be submissive to her man, and to keep herself beautiful and attractive for him, as her body is his body, now. DOUBLE WOW.  One of the groomsmen shouted for the groom to (pardon my language) "do her in the butt", when the question arose if anyone had any reservations to their union.  I was so tempted to walk out of the church. I pulled it together and drove an hour away to the venue.  No cocktail hour, dinner was served an hour late and cold. The priest made another inappropriate prayer, but at least the day was salvaged and the couple had a blast on the dance floor and hopefully excommunicated from that church as soon as they got back from their honeymoon. I had been to 3 other Catholic weddings that summer, where the priest said a woman's duty is to be submissive to her husband, and some anti-gay message peppered into a marriage of  a man and a woman. (it was their day, not a day for someone to spout politics).
    woah

https://31.media.tumblr.com/f9e1201d417a3eda75ad66ddd917f091/tumblr_mzf1d4SZm41seecqoo1_500.gif

second, I have been to many Catholic weddings and I have never heard the submission line used.  Only time I ever hear that stuff is at Born Again Christian weddings, sorry to say.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My cousin's wedding was AWFUL.

Unfortunately, he decided to marry my sworn enemy from junior high and high school who was incredibly homely looking. It must be true about how being ugly on the inside makes you ugly on the outside. Throughout their wedding planning process, I get continual calls from my aunt complaining that the Bride isn't including her in any part of the planning, just sending her an email every two weeks with what my cousin's parents are expected to put out for the arrangements being made. Day of, I convince my Fi to attend with me. So we travel to the location-a ranch. Red flag. Parking was ridiculous, a twelve year old doing donuts in a golf cart was directing guests on the parking. Get out of the car-step in horse poop. The parking lot was absolutely covered in it. Then, we walk up this half mile long gravel driveway, tiptoeing through the tulips horse poop. At least I was not the only guest suffering to make the trek in heels.

So once we get up to the run-down barn where we're assuming the ceremony/reception is in (no signs to point us in the right direction, and yucky barn anyway). Fi and I go inside the barn and are suddenly overcome with the fantastic smell of horse poop. I nearly gag, and the poor woman behind us actually heaves and has to step outside. After roaming around the barn with only a few brave souls and the stench of fecal matter for company, I finally get a call from my aunt wondering where we are. Turns out, we were not supposed to enter the barn (who knew?!) and instead walk another half mile in gravel and horse poop around the back of the barn to the ceremony.

Active pasture usually have a lot of horse manure in them, but well kept barns don't usually smell overwhelmingly of manure.  At it's peak the barn I board at had 30 horses and it never reaked of manure unless a horse just took a fresh dump, lol.

Be thankful the wedding wasn't held on a dairy farm or worse, a farm where they raise pigs.  Pig manure is the worst- gag!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• phira said:
    @SBmini That's pretty terrible. I mean, I get wanting to have lots of dancing at your wedding, and I get wanting to downplay some bad hotel decor, but sometimes, it's just better to have a more laid-back, non-dancy reception, and just let people see the crappy hotel decor because they know that you didn't pick the place for the artwork. Ya know?

I was thinking that too. My FI kinda wants to do the Dweet Caroline song at our wedding. Half of our guests will be from the Boston area.
  • phira said:
    @SBmini That's pretty terrible. I mean, I get wanting to have lots of dancing at your wedding, and I get wanting to downplay some bad hotel decor, but sometimes, it's just better to have a more laid-back, non-dancy reception, and just let people see the crappy hotel decor because they know that you didn't pick the place for the artwork. Ya know?

I was thinking that too. My FI kinda wants to do the Dweet Caroline song at our wedding. Half of our guests will be from the Boston area.
    Huh?  I don't get it.

1st I hate this Sweet Caroline "thing" and I don't know why it is even a thing.  College aged kids who have no idea who Neil Diamond even is make a big, drunken production out of the song at bars and house parties, and I  don't live in Boston, so this can't be just a Boston thing.

2nd I  don't get what it has to do with the Red Sox.

• phira said:

Huh?  I don't get it.

1st I hate this Sweet Caroline "thing" and I don't know why it is even a thing.  College aged kids who have no idea who Neil Diamond even is make a big, drunken production out of the song at bars and house parties, and I  don't live in Boston, so this can't be just a Boston thing.

@PrettyGirlLost I'm not a Red Sox fan but grew up surrounded by them.  Sweet Caroline is played at Fenway when they win a game (right?).  It's like Sinatra's "New York, New York" for Yankees fans but Sox fans get WAY more excited about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• phira said:

Huh?  I don't get it.

@PrettyGirlLost I'm not a Red Sox fan but grew up surrounded by them.  Sweet Caroline is played at Fenway when they win a game (right?).  It's like Sinatra's "New York, New York" for Yankees fans but Sox fans get WAY more excited about it.
    Was Neil Diamond from Boston?

• phira said:

I was thinking that too. My FI kinda wants to do the Sweet Caroline song at our wedding. Half of our guests will be from the Boston area.
    Huh?  I don't get it.

They play the song during the eigth inning of a home game at Fenway. I have no idea why it started but it's become a tradition here.
  • We're using a Dropkick Murphys song for our first dance... but FI and I are Yankees fans! He just happens to be Irish and I love punk music. And we'd both rock the hell out of "Sweet Caroline" just as much as we would "Livin' on a Prayer", but we love cheesy, dated music. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I mean, that's just why I made a guess. What I'm trying to say is, "Here's why I made that guess, but obviously I know that it's not proof."

@cookie One of the Dropkick Murphys used to live in the apartment below my friend!
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    Okay, so, an explanation of my comment.

1) Sweet Caroline is traditionally played in the middle of the 8th inning at Fenway. The tradition isn't honestly very old, and a lot of people (including fans) find it really irritating. But it's a Thing That Happens at Fenway.

2) The Dropkick Murphys are a Boston-based band, and they've got a bunch of songs that are Red Sox associated ("Tessie" and "Shipping Up to Boston"). They're huge Sox fans; they've done the national anthem at Fenway before playoff games, and after the Sox won in 2007, they actually played in the rolling rally on a flatbed, with Jonathan Papelbon (the closer at the time) Irish stepdancing like a maniac to their music.

So, the fact that the use of a Dropkick song for the recessional was assumed to be the groom's choice, and the fact that the groom was singing Sweet Caroline at the reception led me to guess that he might be a Sox fan.
    I had no idea that song was about baseball or the Red Sox, cool!

Here we just "raise the Jolly Roger" and shoot off fireworks when the Buccos win *snort*

• @PrettyGirlLost I don't think Shipping Up was intended to be like ... the rallying cry of Sox fans like it's turned into, but Tessie actually was an old Sox song that the Murphys decided to cover. But most people just know Shipping Up.
    Anniversary
  • phira said:

@cookie One of the Dropkick Murphys used to live in the apartment below my friend!

The jealousy. Oh, the jealousy!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• phira said:

Wow.  I.  Am.  Impressed.
  • 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Bostonian here. Many events come with Dropkick Murphys, "Sweet Caroline," or "Dirty Water." Also, drunk guys named Sean. :P

I thought of another bad wedding; actually, it was a bridal shower, so I hope this counts. 

My cousin (with whom I am not very close) had a bridal shower about a month before her wedding. She and her H2B already lived together, so they registered for a couple of small things and then lots of very big things. $500, $1000 items. Naturally, the small items go first, so I bought them something that they didn't register for (a handmade engraved cutting board from a local artist) because there was literally nothing else to get them, and my thinking was, who hates cutting boards? Well. Bride opened it, wrinkled her nose, and set it aside. No "thanks". No "oh, who is this from". Just set it aside, with the unopened card, and continued on. Someone else purchased her a beautiful monogram charm for her bracelet and she said "I don't ever wear that bracelet" and set the box aside. Same with a bridal hanger that was twisted in the shape of her wedding date. "I already have this." Okay. Sure. Maybe the gifts aren't to your liking, but you accept them, say thanks, paste on a smile, and move on.

Also, the MOB (my aunt) used this occasion to ask all of the bridal party members for $50 for the bride's morning-of brunch. Apparently, they wanted to "host" a wedding day brunch for everyone ... that we were paying for. I said yes because the other girls did, but now I realize I probably should have declined. My cousin is normally a nice enough girl, but she turned into a crazy person, aided and abetted by aunt who was living vicariously through her.
  • Jen4948 said:
    phira said:

Wow.  I.  Am.  Impressed.
    Apparently they sometimes would rehearse in his apartment. When I asked her if it ever got annoying, noise-wise, she said that this guy was way better as a downstairs neighbor than her current neighbors, who sometimes sing religious songs loudly enough to wake up my friend and her husband.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards