Wedding Reception Forum

When to throw engagement party?

So-I am just looking for some input on when would be the best time to throw an engagment party. Everywhere i read says 9-12 months before the wedding... but i also see "within a few months of engagement/at the start of serious planning". We got engaged on Thanksgiving (11/28/13), and we are in the beginning stages of planning (researching venues/starting to make apptmts) for a Fall 2015 wedding. We were thinking maybe May 2014 to do the engagement party (6 months after engagment, and about 16-18 months from an intended wedding date). I feel like if i push off engagment party closer to wedding date it well be so long after actually being engaged that it feels kinda tacky? Like as if only for gifts (I mean of course we look forward to gifts)?

I keep thinking into this so much-any opinions/feedback is appreciated!

Re: When to throw engagement party?

• Alh728 said:

So-I am just looking for some input on when would be the best time to throw an engagment party. Everywhere i read says 9-12 months before the wedding... but i also see "within a few months of engagement/at the start of serious planning". We got engaged on Thanksgiving (11/28/13), and we are in the beginning stages of planning (researching venues/starting to make apptmts) for a Fall 2015 wedding. We were thinking maybe May 2014 to do the engagement party (6 months after engagment, and about 16-18 months from an intended wedding date). I feel like if i push off engagment party closer to wedding date it well be so long after actually being engaged that it feels kinda tacky? Like as if only for gifts (I mean of course we look forward to gifts)?

I keep thinking into this so much-any opinions/feedback is appreciated!

You can't throw your own engagement party.

If someone were going to throw one for you, they would have approached you about it already and they would have offered dates.  
  • Who offered to throw you an engagement party? When do they want to host it? 

I think engagement parties should happen within 3-4 months of being engaged. Also, remember that anyone invited to the engagement party must be invited to the wedding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's tacky to throw your own engagement party. And I could be wrong, but engagement parties aren't typically gift-giving events. 
  • I apologize for my rude tone but it is super frustrating when people continue to say the same thing instead of help me get the info i need. Planning a wedding isn't the most glamorous thing-seriously already stressed.
  • I think your past the time line for a engagement party.  And like PP said-It is super rude and tacky to host, or even co-host your own party.  Just skip the engagement party, it really isn't important. 

That was the honest advice I was looking for. THANK YOU.
  • Well, aren't you a peach! 

I think you're past time time of an engagement party. IMO, 6 months after is too long. 
  • Alh728 said:
    I think your past the time line for a engagement party.  And like PP said-It is super rude and tacky to host, or even co-host your own party.  Just skip the engagement party, it really isn't important. 

That was the honest advice I was looking for. THANK YOU.
    How is that any different then what others have said?
    Actually 3/4 first posts all told me i shouldn't be planning my own party without any regard to my question. Are we on the same post? Regardless you can see my reply on the discussion regards to trying to delete this post that i already apologized and i am trying to end this. I am trying to continue with my planning on a postive note after all this if were done now?
  • LOL I can tell I wont be able to live this post down. Nobody knows my situation-what if I had no parents? Would it then still be rude to host my own party? Probably not. How bout this-I lied about my mother being 50-shes 45 and quite capable of planning a party actually. But as a single mother her whole life she has little to nothing at all to contribute to such event. So I shouldn't have an engagement party because she can't afford to host it? That would just make her feel worse. Additionally  several people I asked said they know MANY brides who planned their own engagement parties just as a side note. What I have learned since this AM's advice is that whatever people are going to say is irrelevant and i am going to have to just go with my gut and plan what works for ME and MY family.I had a bad moment-don't we all? But none of you are any better for attacking me after trying to apologize move on from it. So looks like were all guilty of being pretty rude.

• Alh728 said:

LOL I can tell I wont be able to live this post down. Nobody knows my situation-what if I had no parents? Would it then still be rude to host my own party? Probably not. How bout this-I lied about my mother being 50-shes 45 and quite capable of planning a party actually. But as a single mother her whole life she has little to nothing at all to contribute to such event. So I shouldn't have an engagement party because she can't afford to host it? That would just make her feel worse. Additionally  several people I asked said they know MANY brides who planned their own engagement parties just as a side note. What I have learned since this AM's advice is that whatever people are going to say is irrelevant and i am going to have to just go with my gut and plan what works for ME and MY family.I had a bad moment-don't we all? But none of you are any better for attacking me after trying to apologize move on from it. So looks like were all guilty of being pretty rude.

If your Mother was no longer living and she would have been the only one to plan you an engagement party then yes, you would go without.

If your Mom does not have the financial means then she shouldn't be throwing you a party she can't afford.

And just because others you know have been rude or think it is fine does not make it okay.

Again we are not attacking you, only trying to help you to be not be rude.

• So if my mom can't afford the party who holds it?

• Alh728 said:

So if my mom can't afford the party who holds it?

I hate the box.

Either someone else (a friend, relative, etc.) offers to host, or you don't have an engagement party. That simple. That party is a gift (as are showers and bachelorette parties). It's not like it's required to get married. I would say most couples don't have an engagement party. 

• What PDKH said.  Just let the engagement party go.  The time for it has come and gone.  Focus on the more important things.

• Alh728 said:

No one, if no one else offers. Most people don't have engagement parties because here are plenty of other wedding parties.

• Alh728 said:

An engagement party, like any other party in your honor, is a gift.  Your mother can throw it, but so can other friends and relatives.  The only one who can't throw it is the couple.  

It doesn't matter if your mother is dead, broke, or just doesn't like you.  If no one offers to host an engagement party for you, you don't get one.  
  • All-  Her mother is NOT hosting the party, she lied about that.  She posted the same question over on WW.  And she is soley wanting the party to get gifts to finance her wedding.

OP-please let the engagement party go.  It is rude to host your own, and many of the people over on WW are sending you down the dark road of tackiness.

• Oy vay =/
  • Damn!! 

And it's oy vey. 
  • Damn!! 

And it's oy vey. 

thanks
  • I'm not really sure what the point of lying on a message board is.....? If you want to do something (even if it's in poor taste or is bad etiquette), do you really need validation from strangers to do it?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm not really sure what the point of lying on a message board is.....? If you want to do something (even if it's in poor taste or is bad etiquette), do you really need validation from strangers to do it?

I didn't feel comfortable explaining my true situation. I'm not well off and perhaps I was trying to cover that up. However i did at a later point in this thread come clean about my situation-I said it clearly that I did lie. I also apologized for my words- But by no means was i ever just throwing a party for gifts-that was strictly assumption. But also being newly engaged I have no idea what i'm doing & when i have an idea people are disagreeing with-yeah, i'm going to look for someone to validate my point and agree with what i am thinking. Kind of human nature...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards