Wedding Reception Forum

When to throw engagement party?

Re: When to throw engagement party?

• I get that there are certain standards for doing things, and again I agree it's in bad form to ask for gifts, but that aside I think it's wrong to say it's tacky to throw your own engagement party. Why? If any of my friends said hey come to this party and celebrate with us, my only thought would be "Great!, Wonderful, sounds like fun!" I wouldn't even think to question who was throwing it.

My 2 cents.

We have been trying to explain it to you people, but you refuse to listen.

It's tacky and rude to throw a party in your own honor number one; it's very AWish.  But number two it is tacky and rude to host a gift giving event in your own honor- and e-parties are gift giving events.  They used to be the norm and not bridal showers.

This isn't Validation Station, so if you don't want to accept that your decisions and ideas are rude and tacky then either move along to WW or WB where everyone will blow smoke, rainbows, and unicorns up your ass because IT'S YOUR SPECIAL DAY and you can do whatever you want! 

Or just own the fact that what you want to do is rude and tacky, do it anyways, but please STFU and stop trying to troll regs who are trying to give good etiquette advice.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited January 2014

Tmarie288 said:
    Wow! Remind me never to ask for any advice on this site! Sheesh! First off the newbies vs oldies debate is absolutely Ridiculous. 

We love new members and talking about weddings.  We don't like newbies who make posts, get feedback and criticism, then get all butthurt and defensive when we didn't validate their bad ideas, then start throwing around the phrases "bullying" "attacking" etc.

It gets old, really quickly.  Ask the people who have participated on these boards for many years.

ETA: The OP initially got very good advice and no one was rude to her, bullied her, etc.  People were blunt and offered feedback on something related to her question, but no one was abusive.  This thread didn't start to go off of the rails until it was revealed that she lied in her OP and then all of the 1st time posters magically appeared to validate her OP. . . perhaps from another wedding site?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• PDKH said:
    Alh278, don't apologize. Don't know what's wrong with all these girls on here, but this site is meant to be helpful. I recently got engaged December 21, 2013. My mom was planning to host an engagement party in June 2014, around 6 months after. You can really do it whenever you want and there is nothing wrong with hosting your own engagement party. People host their own weddings, own bridal showers, so engagement parties are okay. Sometimes family can't pitch in or sometimes people just don't have the family. Doesn't mean you're not allowed to have one. And presents at engagement parties are not tacky at all! If someone wants to congratulate you with a present then they can. Read a bunch of wedding planning sites. They tell you to sign up for registries around the time of your engagement party. Congrats and good luck!!!!
    Yes, you host your own wedding, and then you host a reception to thank guests for attending the ceremony. The reception is not supposed to honor you, it honors the guest.

And throwing your own bridal shower would be beyond tacky. Come on, even etiquette clueless people know that one. 
    You know what's tacky - PDKH?  Telling someone you know nothing about that their ideas are tacky.  She may not have some of the support group that can help with throwing her bridal shower.  Sad...you so sad.  And I respectfully disagree.  The reception honors the parents, guest and bride and groom.
    Your attitude is disgusting.  

OP's ideas were rude.  Some of the posters on this board are here to assist people like OP avoid embarrassing herself.  If you are truly self centered enough to think the reception is to honor the couple and their parents, you are welcome to make a fool of yourself behaving that way.

In general, most couples would rather not make an ass of themselves at their wedding.  If you are dead set on it, that's your business, but encouraging others to do the same is not going to make you look better.  

Encouraging OP to make a fool of herself is not good advice.  It's really mean.  

MyNameIsNot - rather confused how you're getting "making an ass out of themselves" when someone is excited to have a reception honor their parents, guest and themselves.  Could you elaborate?  I may have missed part of the comments.  I just don't translate that into "making an ass out of themselves".
    Asking everyone to honor you is making an ass of yourself.  I don't understand how that requires more explanation.  
  • You know I think some of the responses are getting confused with rudeness. Sure they are direct and sometimes blunt, but they are answers to a question asked. 
    Sometimes we want answers to come in fairy dust and sprinkles. But I genuinely don't think they are coming from a bad place. I really don't. I am bias here. 

I agree with the entitled part. Life and people don't owe us anything. Just because we have an upcoming wedding, doesn't mean people have to be as excited as you do about it. That's life. It hurts - yes. It's part of becoming autonomous and being an adult that takes responsibility for self and no one else. 

If you think about it, Etiquette has a lot to do with how you treat others. NOTHING justifies putting frivolous things above your guests. Etiquette is not the same as being an offbeat or nontraditional bride. 

I am 3 months away from my wedding and I am so proud of myself and the choices my fiance and I have made for our wedding. The ladies here of TK have been super helpful and we are one our way to hosting an event that will honor our guests. It feels good to say that. 

Nice, you go girl!

antibride2013 BTW, how did you know OP was also on WW?  Did she use the same screen name?

• I can see some valid points from everyone! I get that traditionally someone else throws this event, but that doesn't say that you can't yourself or you also can't assist that person in the planning! And NO you shouldn't ever EXPECT gifts, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't receive one at the engagement party too along with all the other events! Maybe someone can't attend the wedding or bridal shower, etc. so they want to give you their give at the engagement party so they can give it to you in person! There are SO many possibilities! And “The only thing constant in life is change” so it's ok to do things a little non traditionally because tradition is constantly changing itself! As for what you deserve and what you don't, that is a great debate, but the definition of the word is "to be worthy, fit, or suitable for some reward or service." And I am almost POSITIVE that we are all worthy, fit and suitable for anything and everything, it's just a matter of making that actually happen for you in your life! And NO one can tell you what you do or don't deserve cause you in fact deserve it all! And every wedding is personal an unique so none will ever be the same, because no couple is exactly the same as another, so what works for one persons may not work for you and honestly who are you to judge? Your wedding is YOUR day so do what makes you the happiest and what works the best for your significant other and both your family and friends, and you are really the only one who really knows what that is! So stop all this arguing, cause it's really not serving anyone! Everyone is just getting offended and frustrated and really what good is that doing anyway! There are already too many judgments in this world, so why don't we all let go of what is supposedly "right" and "wrong" and just love one another for our difference! :) 

• I get that there are certain standards for doing things, and again I agree it's in bad form to ask for gifts, but that aside I think it's wrong to say it's tacky to throw your own engagement party. Why? If any of my friends said hey come to this party and celebrate with us, my only thought would be "Great!, Wonderful, sounds like fun!" I wouldn't even think to question who was throwing it.

My 2 cents.

We have been trying to explain it to you people, but you refuse to listen.

It's tacky and rude to throw a party in your own honor number one; it's very AWish.  But number two it is tacky and rude to host a gift giving event in your own honor- and e-parties are gift giving events.  They used to be the norm and not bridal showers.

This isn't Validation Station, so if you don't want to accept that your decisions and ideas are rude and tacky then either move along to WW or WB where everyone will blow smoke, rainbows, and unicorns up your ass because IT'S YOUR SPECIAL DAY and you can do whatever you want! 

Or just own the fact that what you want to do is rude and tacky, do it anyways, but please STFU and stop trying to troll regs who are trying to give good etiquette advice.
    I just said mine was NOT about gifts. And I will let people know gifts are not expected. It isABSOLUTELY NOT RUDE OR TACKY of me or anyone else to do that. This is just a casual party at a casual bar, with bbq for God's sake. Calm down. I mean we can't even close the bar to the public so the event will technically be open the public. It's a PARTY. No gifts needed, no entitlement not expectation. Just an excuse for people to get together, get to know each other better and have a good time. Sure it's in our honor. WHO CARES? I didn't post this to get validation. But I also don't deserve to be talked at so rudely. Funny you call us rude and tacky but you're the one who gave me such a rude and tacky response. My events will be filled with love and people that would never think I'm rude for having them. None of the people I would have there would judge me or look down on me for having one. That's because I'm a good person surrounded by good people. Sounds like you could learn something from that. Good luck to you. And clearly you're the troll. Do you even know what that means? Look it up. You're trolling not me.

• Tmarie288 said:

Wow! Remind me never to ask for any advice on this site! Sheesh!

First off the newbies vs oldies debate is absolutely Ridiculous. 

We love new members and talking about weddings.  We don't like newbies who make posts, get feedback and criticism, then get all butthurt and defensive when we didn't validate their bad ideas, then start throwing around the phrases "bullying" "attacking" etc.

It gets old, really quickly.  Ask the people who have participated on these boards for many years.

ETA: The OP initially got very good advice and no one was rude to her, bullied her, etc.  People were blunt and offered feedback on something related to her question, but no one was abusive.  This thread didn't start to go off of the rails until it was revealed that she lied in her OP and then all of the 1st time posters magically appeared to validate her OP. . . perhaps from another wedding site?

Honestly i saw this post due to the knots email ... Its featured there. So that might be how so many "newbies" found this post. But after reading some of the peoples responses, i would never ask for anyones opinion here in fear of being attacked.

Also theres a way to give advice and a way to CRITICIZE. What the majority of people did was criticize and attack her. Yes the girl asked for advice so she leaves herself open to this, BUT were all human here lets treat each other with some respect and not crap all over their ideas. Who cares if she lied about her mom? How the heck does that give people free reign to attack her?

Weddings and the things that go with them vary GREATLY on location. Like I mentioned, where Im from engagement parties are extremely common and no one would even blink at a couple throwing their own except maybe their 85 year old grandma.

All in all advice is a great thing, snarky JUDGEMENT is different.

• Tmarie288 said:
    Wow! Remind me never to ask for any advice on this site! Sheesh! First off the newbies vs oldies debate is absolutely Ridiculous. 

As far as me what your provided was far from constructive criticism, it was name-calling, bashing and just anger. I'm not offended whatsoever because I don't know you and don't need your validation. But for someone who is saying to value etiquette you sure don't have any online. At least be respectful and provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. If all this makes you so upset why be on the forums then? Just to troll? If it bothers you, and/or you can't add anything constructive to the conversation then do us all a favor and remove yourself from it.
  • MarMarettiMarMaretti member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Agreed, Tmarie 288, and that's exactly what happened with me. I'm brand new to this, saw the email, am planning an engagement party so I clicked on it. So many rude posters. My comment above goes for all of those who were unnecessarily rude. I certainly am not inclined to share any other ideas or ask any questions on here if this is the type of "help" I can expect. And I'm good, I don't need the help personally, but it makes me sad for other brides who might and will undoubtedly get discouraged from the comments.
  • Hey there. I think the earlier the better. And true fully it's your wedding so whenever you and your mom want to throw it then do it!!! But I would suggest the earlier the better.
  • Your time line seems close to mine. Engaged Aug 2013 wedding not until July 2015. We kind of had a party when we announced the engagement to my fiancés family and celebrated with my family at my Aunts 80th Birthday bash but no "official" engagement party. 
    So . . . we are having a 365 days party this July to celebrate. Nothing fancy just a chance for both families to get together. It will be a fun back yard barbecue at my parents house, not a traditional engagement party but its an excuse for a party. Maybe this would work for you? 
    Hope that was helpful. 

• First off - Congrats on your engagement!  My fiance & I got engaged on November 30, 2013 & our engagement party is scheduled for Feb 1st!  In my opinion, I do not think it is too late for you to still have a small celebration of your engagement!  Maybe more of the Feb-March time-frame though, rather than May.  Also, in my own personal opinion (which I understand is not consistent with traditional etiquette, but honestly, whatever)...I think it is completely fine to throw your own engagement party!  Just make it more of a night out/get together that you want your close friends & family to come & celebrate WITH you...rather than it being very traditional & "in honor of you"!!  It will be fun...and that is what's most important anyway, right?!  No one is going to have the same views on who hosts/pays for/comes to/goes to everything...and no one should b/c everyone's situation is unique!  Sure, there are traditional "rules" as general guidelines to help people along....but Do what is best for you & everything will fall into place!  Good Luck!

• Tmarie288 said:

Wow! Remind me never to ask for any advice on this site! Sheesh!

First off the newbies vs oldies debate is absolutely Ridiculous. 

As far as me what your provided was far from constructive criticism, it was name-calling, bashing and just anger. I'm not offended whatsoever because I don't know you and don't need your validation. But for someone who is saying to value etiquette you sure don't have any online. At least be respectful and provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. If all this makes you so upset why be on the forums then? Just to troll? If it bothers you, and/or you can't add anything constructive to the conversation then do us all a favor and remove yourself from it.

I didn't call anyone names, I was just very blunt with my response. I explained why hosting your own e-party was rude and tacky, regardless of whether you exxpect gifts or not. I was absolutley constructive. . ., And etiquette which is the art of properly hosting your guests has nothing to do with posting styles on message boards.

If you think I'm trolling then lurk more. I'm cetainly not a troll, lol. And please don't try and tell others how to post or when not to post, its just silly.

• Honestly if she wants to throw her own engagement party she can. I would throw an engagement party as a coming out to share our engagement with our families. I'm sure people won't be gossiping behind her back at the party about how she co hosted her own party. They will more likely be commenting on how lovely it is and how happy they are for her and her fiance. 
  • You sound like a young, immature and ungrateful bride. I feel for your fiancé. I shutter to think if you are like this about an engagement party, what you will be like about your wedding. Gifts, while always welcome, are never obligatory. Even wedding gifts. You ought to read up on your Emily Post and Miss Manners.
  • Yikers. Did you ever get your question answered? I was also wondering when an engagement party would be.. 
    But hey, everyone is not the same. If you want to throw a party because you are so stinkin' happy to be engaged to the love of your life, then do it. People have birthday parties all the time, and throw them themselves, and get gifts. Maybe let people know that gifts aren't necessary if you want. But just because you don't do the same things as everyone else doesn't mean you're tacky. That was all so ridiculous. I'm sorry that you felt bad about telling about your situation at first, and I'm sorry that you were attacked the way you were. That was a bummer. I wish you all the best in your planning, and your wedding and future :)
  • Hi there. Weddings do not equal protocols. You do whatever you guys feel makes sense for you. I WILL BE throwing my engagement party. Seeing as how we are planning a destination wedding, we thought it would be great to have a celebration for the start of lives together that would give us a chance to say thanks for caring and if you are willing and able, please come to our wedding.
    What is sensible or not, changes throughout the years. Half the things we have added to what we modern day brides think is necessary, wasnt even considered by our mothers, and vice versa. Its a celebration. You guys are inviting people you love and care about to join in on your happiness. Who's hosting and when its being held is the discretion of whose most important and in charge... the couple! Hope this helps!
  • Totally OT: Did something happen to this thread? It keeps telling me there are new posts and shows a different person as the latest poster when I look at the thread list, but there are no new posts when I click on the thread.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I agree with you TOTALLY, some of the responses to your question have been rude and far from helpful. Isnt this supposed to be a happy place? I think you were nicer than I would have been. Good Luck and Congrats!
  • MarMarettiMarMaretti member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

Tmarie288 said:

I didn't call anyone names, I was just very blunt with my response. I explained why hosting your own e-party was rude and tacky, regardless of whether you exxpect gifts or not. I was absolutley constructive. . ., And etiquette which is the art of properly hosting your guests has nothing to do with posting styles on message boards. If you think I'm trolling then lurk more. I'm cetainly not a troll, lol. And please don't try and tell others how to post or when not to post, its just silly.
    Wrong you were quite rude. Nothing constructive about it. And remember these are your OPINIONS and nothing more. There is not a fact that has to be a certain way. It isn't tacky to me, that's just your opinion. There is no one right or wrong at all. Discussion over.
  • Hey Maggie. You really should beat it. Aren't you already married? You had your day in the light. Newbie or not, you are a condescending bitch who clearly has nothing better to do. I'd love to see the plaque on your desk that says "I know all about weddings I make the rules" get the fuck over yourself. I didn't come on here to be intentionally rude but girl please. You are just a sad sack of a child pretending to be an adult. And just so you know, you can try and cut into me all you'd like on here..... It doesn't matter to me. But you are a woman, and you should be supportive of other women. Not some annoying negative bitch who is crucifying someone because they want to do things differently for THEIR WEDDING Now please leave this poor girl alone, she has enough to worry about
  • If you've already had your wedding then why bother to continue to go to a wedding planning site and message board? And get worked up about it in the process. Seems like it might be time to move on with your life. Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards