Wedding Party
Options

Maid of Dishonor

Over the past 8 months, I have picked my bridal party, dresses, and have been having a blast sharing ideas with my girls getting ready for the big day in July.  In addition to the wedding, I have been dealing with a seriously family illness with my mom, which has been causing me to take multiple trips to Michigan to be by her side. 

The first instance of me needing to leave, I knew a few days in advance and had to make arrangements with work, as did my fiance.  I pre-warned the party that I may be leaving as we had scheduled to all go together to purchase my wedding dress, look at bridesmaid gowns and do lunch so they can all get to know one another.  They all said, we're praying for you and keep us posted.  Once all plans were confirmed that my fiance and I were leaving town, I sent out the email of regrets and various dates to reschedule the shopping date a month later.  I received an email from my MOH that simly said "Good, I made a hair appointment for the same time."  I asked her when this appointment was made and she said a few days before I even announced that I might be leaving town.  So she had already planned on bailing on the afternoon.  I was angry and just let the conversation go to focus on my mom.  When I came back to town, I asked her if I hadn't left, what did she plan on doing about having two engagements to tend to in one day at the same time.  Her responce was her hair was more important to her because if she didn't take that appointment, she couldn't get in for another week to her stylist.

A few weeks went by and the next date to go dress shopping came up.  She actually came and was trying on dresses, having a good time with all the girls.  We went with a dress that was considered "special occasion" and not bridesmaid so we were advised by davids bridal to buy the dress now and not wait, as not all the sizes needed will be available for very long.  She couldn't afford her dress right away so I ordered it for her, under the understanding she would pay me back.  That was in November.  I have asked her twice, and she keeps saying "at the end of the month" she'll have the money.  Then something comes up and she no longer has the money.  I honestly don't mind when she can afford to pay me back, but the promise of soon and then backing out on it is what I find upsetting.

On pinterest, I started a board for us all to share and pin on so they can show me hair styles, make-up, shoes, and jewlery they like.  I have planned on purchasing the jewelry as my gift to them all along, and the MOH has gauged earrings.  In my search for jewelry, I found a gauge plug that allows you to put any standard earring in it and as long as the front is big enough, it hides the fact that it's a gauge all together.  It's important to me that they wear the same jewelry.  I like the idea of everyone having the same look.  Since the gauges were a specialty item, I asked her opinion on them and if she would consider wearing them for the wedding.  I was immediately shot down with the idea by a blunt "No, I absolutely will not wear those.  They're expensive and I've already been picking out earrings that will fit my guages."  I explained to her that the jewelry was going to be my gift and I would pay for the gauge converters, but she wouldn't have it.  I also explained to her that I wanted everyone to look the same for the pictures and the response I got was "That's stupid.  No one does that anymore for weddings." 

When I emailed the girls an idea for a pair of shoes, the other two girls were completely on board with a cute ballet flat with gems on the toe that matched the dress.  Her responce was "that's too expensive of a shoe."  It is a $60 Nine West Ballet Flat.  I thought that was reasonable, considering I just went shopping with her the previous week and watched her spend over $90 on pair of slip on loafers. 

I wanted to talk to her before the holidays and ask if maybe she didn't realize the financial responsibility it means to be in a bridal party, but she wouldn't make time for me.  Whenever I ask her to hang out even, just for drinks or shopping, she tells me I live too far away and I have to come to her, but then she won't pick a time or a day to hang out. 

Today she kind of hit the last straw with me and emailed me a picture of some new piercings she got.  Dermals, in the side of her face.  Typical cost to have those done is $50 and she got two of them.  That doesn't include the cost of jewelry.  Now, I'm not against piercings, I have a few cartilage piercings myself, but dermals in the side of her face kind of push my limits.  I don't like the idea of those being in my wedding photos the rest of my life. 

Even the two other girls are starting to ask me what is up with her/what's her deal because she has had nothing but negative things to say or an unpleasant attitude the whole time. 

I know it's not the nicest thing to tell someone you're no longer in the wedding party, but I plan on suggesting maybe she would be more comfortable as a guest?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker}

Re: Maid of Dishonor

• Options
    logana1 said:

Over the past 8 months, I have picked my bridal party, dresses, and have been having a blast sharing ideas with my girls getting ready for the big day in July.  In addition to the wedding, I have been dealing with a seriously family illness with my mom, which has been causing me to take multiple trips to Michigan to be by her side. 

The first instance of me needing to leave, I knew a few days in advance and had to make arrangements with work, as did my fiance.  I pre-warned the party that I may be leaving as we had scheduled to all go together to purchase my wedding dress, look at bridesmaid gowns and do lunch so they can all get to know one another.  They all said, we're praying for you and keep us posted.  Once all plans were confirmed that my fiance and I were leaving town, I sent out the email of regrets and various dates to reschedule the shopping date a month later.  I received an email from my MOH that simly said "Good, I made a hair appointment for the same time."  I asked her when this appointment was made and she said a few days before I even announced that I might be leaving town.  So she had already planned on bailing on the afternoon.  I was angry and just let the conversation go to focus on my mom.  When I came back to town, I asked her if I hadn't left, what did she plan on doing about having two engagements to tend to in one day at the same time.  Her responce was her hair was more important to her because if she didn't take that appointment, she couldn't get in for another week to her stylist.

A few weeks went by and the next date to go dress shopping came up.  She actually came and was trying on dresses, having a good time with all the girls.  We went with a dress that was considered "special occasion" and not bridesmaid so we were advised by davids bridal to buy the dress now and not wait, as not all the sizes needed will be available for very long.  She couldn't afford her dress right away so I ordered it for her, under the understanding she would pay me back.  That was in November.  I have asked her twice, and she keeps saying "at the end of the month" she'll have the money.  Then something comes up and she no longer has the money.  I honestly don't mind when she can afford to pay me back, but the promise of soon and then backing out on it is what I find upsetting.

On pinterest, I started a board for us all to share and pin on so they can show me hair styles, make-up, shoes, and jewlery they like.  I have planned on purchasing the jewelry as my gift to them all along, and the MOH has gauged earrings.  In my search for jewelry, I found a gauge plug that allows you to put any standard earring in it and as long as the front is big enough, it hides the fact that it's a gauge all together.  It's important to me that they wear the same jewelry.  I like the idea of everyone having the same look.  Since the gauges were a specialty item, I asked her opinion on them and if she would consider wearing them for the wedding.  I was immediately shot down with the idea by a blunt "No, I absolutely will not wear those.  They're expensive and I've already been picking out earrings that will fit my guages."  I explained to her that the jewelry was going to be my gift and I would pay for the gauge converters, but she wouldn't have it.  I also explained to her that I wanted everyone to look the same for the pictures and the response I got was "That's stupid.  No one does that anymore for weddings." 

When I emailed the girls an idea for a pair of shoes, the other two girls were completely on board with a cute ballet flat with gems on the toe that matched the dress.  Her responce was "that's too expensive of a shoe."  It is a $60 Nine West Ballet Flat.  I thought that was reasonable, considering I just went shopping with her the previous week and watched her spend over $90 on pair of slip on loafers. 

I wanted to talk to her before the holidays and ask if maybe she didn't realize the financial responsibility it means to be in a bridal party, but she wouldn't make time for me.  Whenever I ask her to hang out even, just for drinks or shopping, she tells me I live too far away and I have to come to her, but then she won't pick a time or a day to hang out. 

Today she kind of hit the last straw with me and emailed me a picture of some new piercings she got.  Dermals, in the side of her face.  Typical cost to have those done is $50 and she got two of them.  That doesn't include the cost of jewelry.  Now, I'm not against piercings, I have a few cartilage piercings myself, but dermals in the side of her face kind of push my limits.  I don't like the idea of those being in my wedding photos the rest of my life. 

Even the two other girls are starting to ask me what is up with her/what's her deal because she has had nothing but negative things to say or an unpleasant attitude the whole time. 

I know it's not the nicest thing to tell someone you're no longer in the wedding party, but I plan on suggesting maybe she would be more comfortable as a guest?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

1. If you want all of your BMs to match then the financial responsibility of shoes and jewellery is on you.

2. Kicking someone out of the WP is a friendship-ending move. I would only consider this if you no longer want to be friends with her.

3. Is this behaviour typical of her? Have you bothered to ask her if everything is going well in her life or are all of your conversations based on the wedding?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options

I have considered this being friendship ending.  I've been thinking about it for several months since the first issue of the hair appointed vs. dressing shopping came up. 

When I originally asked her, she was super excited.  She would constantly say to me "I can't wait for you to get married! I wish it was happening sooner."  Once we started making plans and picking things out, that's when she started getting sour about things. 

Ignoring me and not wanting to take time to even just hang out together is not typical behavior of her at all.  She and I would drop anything to spend some time together.  Now I'm lucky if I get a few minutes to talk to her on facebook chat, let alone a text.   I have been trying to ask her about other aspects of her life (work, her new relationship, her family) and the most I get is "it's good.  Super busy, but good".

• Options
    logana1 said:

No one is going to be as excited about your wedding as you are. When my best friend got married I was extremely excited for her but then went back to my every day life because that deserved my attention more.

How she spends her money is none of your business - if she chooses to spend money on a pair of $90 loafers than that is up to her. She is not required to spend $60 on shoes for one day when she may never wear it again. Also, she may have been splurging. I bought an expensive purse once as a gift to myself - I don't do it every week and my friends understand that. They wouldn't think "Well she spent $90 on these shoes so obviously she can spend money for my day." That's a very selfish way of thinking.

Happy planning
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    While I can respect your thought process, she's not an occassional money dropper.  She constantly drops money and then complains she has none to spend on normal things like food or bills. 
  • Options
    Chances are, there is something going on that she's not telling you that is causing this behavior. You might express concern about her life and find out if she is still willing/able to stand up as your MOH. (You cannot kick somebody out of your bridal party once you've asked ... especially if the reason is that she's not being cooperative with your schedule and isn't spending the time and energy on your wedding that you think she should...because you aren't actually allowed to expect her to cater to your schedule or spend any time or energy on your wedding other than showing up.)

Have you tried the approach of "We haven't spoken in a while and I miss you. I'm concerned about you and want to get together to catch up. Maybe we can meet in the middle."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I disagree with your interpretation of the situation.  I'm not basing this simply off her "not being cooperative with my schedule".  In fact, nothing has ever been based off of my schedule.  I let them know when I have some time and when I'd like to go do something and if they can't make it, I adjust my schedule so they can.  The only thing I've asked them to dedicate some time to so far was going dress shopping.  Nothing else.  I only say this to defend myself as you are not the first to suggest the idea that I am expecting them to cater to me.  So far, I've asked for their opinions on items like shoes and jewelry because they have to wear it, I want their opinion.  The flat out rude responses I have been getting from her is what is making me upset. 

I've been reading on several boards about how "you can't kick someone out of your bridal party once you've asked."  I think this is an old fashioned way of thinking.  I took my time and a lot of thought into who I wanted to ask to be in my bridal party.  Even if you think someone is your most perfect best friend in the whole world, friendships can still die off in the midst of planning and preparing for a wedding. 

I am aware that the universe doesn't revolve around me and the wedding.  I'm not asking them to surround themselves in my wedding planning.  I am asking them to give me input on what they like and what they don't like.  The fact that she's using me as a sounding board for what she doesn't like about what I'm picking is hurting my feelings.  It's hard for me to not withdraw from the friendship myself, but in the attempts I've made to try and see whats up, she won't budge. 

I've been advised by several people to suggest she step aside, the fiance included, what I'm looking for here ladies, is some advice as to not completely hurt her.  There's going to be hurt, I understand that, and I'll probably lose her as a friend, but based on how she's behaving and ignoring me wanting to just hang out with her like we use to before I asked her to be in the wedding, I'm thinking it isn't a total loss. 

• Options
    logana1 said:

I disagree with your interpretation of the situation.  I'm not basing this simply off her "not being cooperative with my schedule".  In fact, nothing has ever been based off of my schedule.  I let them know when I have some time and when I'd like to go do something and if they can't make it, I adjust my schedule so they can.  The only thing I've asked them to dedicate some time to so far was going dress shopping.  Nothing else.  I only say this to defend myself as you are not the first to suggest the idea that I am expecting them to cater to me.  So far, I've asked for their opinions on items like shoes and jewelry because they have to wear it, I want their opinion.  The flat out rude responses I have been getting from her is what is making me upset. 

I've been reading on several boards about how "you can't kick someone out of your bridal party once you've asked."  I think this is an old fashioned way of thinking.  I took my time and a lot of thought into who I wanted to ask to be in my bridal party.  Even if you think someone is your most perfect best friend in the whole world, friendships can still die off in the midst of planning and preparing for a wedding. 

I am aware that the universe doesn't revolve around me and the wedding.  I'm not asking them to surround themselves in my wedding planning.  I am asking them to give me input on what they like and what they don't like.  The fact that she's using me as a sounding board for what she doesn't like about what I'm picking is hurting my feelings.  It's hard for me to not withdraw from the friendship myself, but in the attempts I've made to try and see whats up, she won't budge. 

I've been advised by several people to suggest she step aside, the fiance included, what I'm looking for here ladies, is some advice as to not completely hurt her.  There's going to be hurt, I understand that, and I'll probably lose her as a friend, but based on how she's behaving and ignoring me wanting to just hang out with her like we use to before I asked her to be in the wedding, I'm thinking it isn't a total loss. 

You need to take your wedding out of the equation.  Would you like to continue having a friendship with her?  If yes, then stop talking about anything wedding related with her.  If you need a sounding board on ideas, ask us here.  We love weddings! 

Her dress has already been purchased for her, but did you really expect her to pay you back when you say yourself that she barely has money for bills and food?  You say she spends frivolously, did you expect her to stop just because you are getting married?  Remember that no one will be as excited about this wedding as you and FI are.  That will help you a lot in wedding planning.  Also, $60 is a lot to spend on a pair of shoes that someone may not like or ever want to wear again. 

But if you do want to end the friendship with her.  Call her on the phone (not text or fb), tell her "Sally, we seem to be drifting apart and heading in different directions in life.  I want you to know that I valued our friendship while we were close, but at this point, I'm sorry to say I don't feel like we can continue it.  I wish you nothing but happiness in the future."  There is no need to further explain, even if she asks.  Then don't replace her or make someone else a MOH - leave the WP as is.  Try selling her dress online to recoup some of the money.

• Options
    Well then if you are fine with loosing her as a friend then I don't really know what advice you could be looking for. How exactly would you want to hear from someone that you are no longer in their wedding party? Even if you put it as gently as possible it is going to hurt the person on the receiving end possibly to the point where they won't even want to come to the wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thank you OliveOilsMom .  You're the only one who didn't completely attack me in this post.  Reading other community boards, I see a lot of attacking going on, not a lot of suggesting. 
  • Options
    Well then if you are fine with loosing her as a friend then I don't really know what advice you could be looking for. How exactly would you want to hear from someone that you are no longer in their wedding party? Even if you put it as gently as possible it is going to hurt the person on the receiving end possibly to the point where they won't even want to come to the wedding.

Right.  I agree.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I'll have to think about how would I feel if someone said the same thing to me.
  • Options

The only reason I say attack is because after looking through several questions on different community boards, most people who respond do the same exact thing:

-Read the situation

-Ignore the question that was actually asked

-If they don't give enough background information, responders assume things (which is why I gave so much information in the first place)

-Then responders judge everything else they think the bride is doing wrong. 

That's all.

• Options
    logana1 said:

The only reason I say attack is because after looking through several questions on different community boards, most people who respond do the same exact thing:

-Read the situation

-Ignore the question that was actually asked

-If they don't give enough background information, responders assume things (which is why I gave so much information in the first place)

-Then responders judge everything else they think the bride is doing wrong. 

That's all.

But I really don't see anyone in this thread doing that?
  • Options
    @logana1 get used to it they love attacking people on here all day everyday trust me and it won't stop it's ridiculous. They say rude things then say oh wait how did I attack you. Anyway I don't think it's worth ruining a friendship over. I'd say talk to her and tell her how you really feel. Tell her you guys need to have a talk. I think it's nice that if you want someone in your bridal party to wear something you purchase it yourself the least they can do is wear it just like the rest of the bridal party. The others girls have no problem with it right? It's just this one? I could see if it was a group vote. Now I completely understand how you feel about the money situation however that is her money and she can do as she pleases no matter what it looks like to you. When is your wedding and how much time do you have? And that was nice of you to purchase her dress when she couldn't afford and she should definitely pay you back

We have until July, so there's plenty of time to pick other shoes and what not.  The other girls don't have any problems with the items I'm asking for their opinion on.  Any time I suggest something, it's just that.  Wanting their opinion.  There has yet to be one thing she has liked.  The way my suggestions are constantly getting shot down by her is whats so discouraging.  The other girls have no problem saying no, but then offer other ideas.  She's just a straight "No, I hate that/I don't like that/I won't wear that."

• Options
    Its her body and her money, if she doesn't want to compromise then she shouldn't have too. Look OP I'm not trying to attack you but just think about it. Is the "look" that comes along with the shoes, types of earrings ect important or is it your friend? If your friend is more important let her be herself gauges and all. If the "look" is more important then you might have to kick her out. I rather choose the person who has been in my life instead of things. That's my personal opinion though.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with your MOH. As pp suggested i think you might want to take a second and really have a heart 2 heart with her. Maybe something serious is going on and instead of talking to you about it, she is displacing her anger? That is if you really care- if not, then it's your choice about whether you have her in your wp or not.

Maybe i'm old fashioned, or just don't fit in to the "etiquette" that other brides on here agree with, but when i've said yes to be in a BM party i logically expect to be told what to wear, have to drop a little bit of money, and plan on doing what ever i can to make sure the bride is happy. This of course doesn't include really outrageous stuff like, cutting your hair a certain way, dropping a million dollars, or loosing a bunch of weight(although i'd try to do this anyway).But you don't seem to have asked for anything outrageous!  Do you ever watch Say Yes to the dress: Bridesmaids? Those girls are ridiculous complaining that they don't like the dresses, or that they think they should be able to pick out styles(if the bride isn't into that).... it isn't about them, it's about the Bride. I once had to wear a suit with a tie in a wedding party.. i felt ridiculous, but it's what the bride wanted- and in the end, who cares!

Overall though, it sounds like you are more hurt about the lack of friendship this girl has been displaying. Don't get caught up in your wedding stuff, really think about the friendship piece and fix that... if it's worth it to you.

Good luck!
    Bullshit.  The marriage ceremony is about the bride and groom.  You seriously think that the people who are going to be wearing the dresses should have no say in whether they like the dress or not?  JFC.  I wish we would go back to the times when your bridesmaids just wore their best dresses to the wedding and nobody obsessed over whether they matched the decor. 

• Options
    Personally for my taste, the mixed dresses in a picture doesn't look nice. But like I said, not my taste. (Thanks for sharing the picture though) The funny thing about the shoe is all the girls wear ballet flats, and thats why I looked for one. I knew they already liked that style of shoe. And we did discuss budget. So far, I haven't even come close to exceeding it. They even picked the dress themselves. I didn't particularly care for it myself because it was short (I wanted long), but I compromised because I realized I'm getting married in July and they might get hot. I like the idea of a payment plan for the dress. I offered to buy for her up front because she and I are both plus size, so I understand how quickly our sizes get snatched up. I didn't want her to get stuck waiting a while and then not have a dress. What scared me more was she wanted to buy two sizes smaller and try to lose weight to fit into it. I know what you're all going to think, let her do what she wants with her body. But what if wedding time came and the dress didn't fit? I was shocked and felt like it was risky. I even warned her it's easier to take a dress in than out. In the end, I plan on giving her an option of staying in the bridal party if she feels comfortable with it or just being a guest. If it ends the friendship, so be it. And if that makes me a bridezilla because I do care about my wedding's look over her, oh well. I'm getting married to my husband, and yes I want my pictures to be a cute memory, which to me means matching dresses, shoes, and jewelry. Every bride is different for a reason right? There's no right or wrong here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards