Wedding Etiquette Forum

Worst Wedding You've Ever Been To?

Re: Worst Wedding You've Ever Been To?

• cruffino said:
    @Ashley8918 I can't. That can't be real. You win.
    Oh come on, the one where the bride sent out a video to people telling them about her husband's huge dick definitely wins.  

But this one sounds pretty freaking awful.

Wait WHAT?! THIS HAPPENED?

• 1 - Not invited to ceremony or dinner. Apparently it was crap, so my BFF, her sister (bride's cousins), our other roommate (groom's half sister) and I consider the fact we had Applebee's to be better than rare chicken, burned tatertot casserole and canned peas. Cash bar for EVERYTHING including water. Best man (bride's brother) texted begging for juice or Gatorade for his 7 months pregnant wife. I actually got my brother and his GF to pick her up and take her to their house so she wasn't alone and horribly ill. Best man left the second pictures were finished. By then, the four of us recently of legal drinking age were slightly drunk, so figured we'd see the train wreck. Gave the friend who was bartending $80 to let us take two bottles of Jager to our seats. Proceeded to get VERY drunk. Then the dollar dance - they wouldn't accept less than $10. And groom's elderly relative started screaming into a hot microphone that bride wasn't supposed to keep stripping for money. BFF's parents came over then, Mom basically chugged about a quarter of a Jager bottle straight from the bottle, Dad drove all of us to their house. I'm sure we were probably awful then, but I was too drunk to remember much and I was the sober one. Eh, no one talks about our drunken antics. 2 - 87 minute United Church of Christ service. Told six hours before, we were providing pot luck and were sent recipes. We couldn't enter without food. So a bunch of us didn't attend and hit up the local bar. I was 22 then, still in my see how drunk I can get stage. Answer was very. 3 - Wedding was lovely, dinner was better than most rubber chicken, limited open bar. DF's cousin had previously told us no metal/rock music - ok, no big deal. Bride wanted appropriate music, I get that. But, then The Thong Song played with bride quite happy with music. DF and I roll eyes. That was followed by Rehab, which is a song that feels icky these days. But, I'm fussy, so fine. However, the next song, which bride squealed with joy about, was the ever so tasteful ditty that 93 year old great aunts just adore. The classic and classy song with "Superman that ho" line. I instantly clapped my hands over 43 month old daughter's ears. FMIL has her "Oh Dear Jesus" look on her face. She's so laid back, I rarely ever see that look, so I start snickering. FFIL leans over with "I think that one Rammstein video is I'm better taste." At which point, FMIL, FSIL and I start rolling with laughter. We are trying to be quiet, and really no one really noticed because it's about 11:30 and the bar has been well visited. MOB runs over and starts yelling about how weddings and celebrations are solemn, tasteful affairs, laughing is not allowed. FFIL, who keeps his mouth shut less than me, had to ask, in front of all the attention she gathered, how supermanning a ho was solemn or tasteful. Oh well. At least bride 3 really was reasonable and nice. Plus, handwritten, lovely thank you cards for her shower gift, the wedding gift and then for attending. Yup, 3 separate cards. Plus DD got her own thank you card for being (the cutest ever) flower girl*. Bride!1 didn't send a note, because that's eat up her wedding money. Bride 2 sent this 7 page rant on how I ruined everything. Her guests couldn't eat, no one saw her mad dance skillz and we missed the most important announcement. But I heard it later on the video she sent as a Christmas pout so I could see how sad all 7 guests were. She was pregnant, and since new hubby was so extra big (exact measurements were stated) she was having twins and labor would be so easy because he stretches her out. Which was made so much more hilarious as she'd those babies by the time I got the video, and everything was how horrible birth was, one got stuck, she had torn, etc... Eesh. #2 just really chaps me.
    I had to find it - nothing beats this.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm late to the game.

Wedding one- there was a dollar dance. Other than that everything else was good.

Wedding two- the invitation had where they were registered on it. It was outside and the temp unexpectedly plummeted. No one was dressed properly and froze the entire reception. They had no heaters. The sewage system started leaking and seeping making part of the ground a muddy toxic mess. And the smell was putrid. We helped set up and take down the reception & ceremony. I cut and served the cakes with the help of one other person because it was in a spot that wasn't easily accessible. H and I helped but would have appreciated being asked in advance then it being sprung on us. Then we received no thank you card for our gift. H also got no thank you for being the best man.

Wedding three- had a 4 hour unhosted gap. An outside reception on a cold night in October with no heaters. They specifically told us they wanted cash. We did not ask or were talking about gifts or registries at the time. It was us, "oh that sounds like a nice idea. I like it". Them, " We want cash instead of gifts". Us, "oh really?!" No thank you card for our gift.

There was no mention of provided transportation or that parking at the reception cite cost $10-15 prior to the wedding day. Found out about the free transportation to the reception from one of their family members. Actually I over heard it before the ceremony and that parking costs money! I butted in and asked about it. We walked the 1/2 block from our home to the hotel the transport was leaving from.

Found out later from the couple that they had hosted an after party at the bar on our street. Me, "I was really sick from an allergic reaction and had to go to the hospital". Them, "Glad you roughed it out and made it to our wedding. We partied for hours after the reception at x." Us, "oh?" Them, "It was so much fun." Note I went to the doctor the morning of and I roughed it out because I thought we were friends (and really good friends of H). Turns out they could care less about us and we're no longer friends.

Our wedding- we had a god aweful DJ. He was great on paper and everytime we talked before the day of the wedding. The DJ is the one thing people complained to us about. We completely agree with them too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • erollis what was wrong with the DJ. Just curious as I am looking for DJ's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hpbunny said:
    How about worst wedding I didn't actually get to attend?  A few years ago, my now DH received an invitation from a co-worker, we'll call him John and his bride Jane, with "and guest".  No big deal, but we had been dating for about 8 months at this point and we had signed a lease to move in together in a month, and they had met me before but whatever, fine.  He RSVP-ed for the both us. 

A few weeks before John and Jane's wedding, John EMAILED DH (then BF) saying too many people RSVP-ed so they had to change "plus-ones" to be only engaged or married couples.  Excluding me, the live-in GF. So they emailed to say I was no longer invited.  

DH, showing an example of how he was future husband material, responded saying he would no longer be attending the wedding.  At a wedding of another co-worker (which I was invited to), Jane spent the whole time talking about her upcoming wedding.  Of course, DH and John being co-workers, we were seated at the same table as them.  So she spent an entire wedding talking about her own upcoming wedding in front of the person they just uninvited.  Nice.

To this day I hold a grudge towards John and Jane.  It was so unbelievably rude.  So all those out there over-inviting, or doing the no-ring no-bring, it's rude, and will make people dislike you far into the future.  Is that really worth it?  Or are you just so important that everyone else's feelings are below yours because it "your big day"?

Sorry, I've been holding on to that vent for a while!

Man that's cold. 
  • Okay, I'll play.

The worst wedding I have ever been to was mine!

First and foremost, I was 22 years old and absolutely clueless. I had only been to two weddings in my life and both were very, very casual, so I had no idea what I was doing. I woke up that morning and knew I was making a bad decision with regard to who I was marrying, but I went with it anyway...and stayed married for 7 years. Extended lapse of sanity. Anyway...

Invitations were printed on an 8.5x11.5 sheet of "parchment" paper and I thought they were FANCY because they included a scrollwork border and a pretty font. Our venue was the American Legion hall. The ceremony was outdoors in front of the gazebo and the reception was inside in the hall. At least I had sense enough to figure out a clever way to cover the bingo board - a white plastic tablecloth! NOW we were cooking!

My chariot was my FFIL's big ugly red van. Yes, folks. I climbed out of a big red van in my ivory satin gown complete with LOOOOOOOOOOOONG train that was in no way appropriate for the venue. My FMIL happened across it by chance and paid $100 for it because it had been custom designed for a bride who decided she didn't like it. I still think I looked pretty in it, but should have gone with something much more simple. And long sleeves outside in July? Really? Even in Maine that was silly.

My ex-H wore a tux and his cummerbund didn't sit right, so there was a large white strip between it and his pants. He looked ridiculous. He didn't bother to comb his hair before he pulled it back into a ponytail. Seriously, he didn't even brush it back and instead he had some stupid looking jagged part and it looked like a black squirrel was resting beneath it. His brother (the best man) didn't go with the other guys to rent tuxes and my ex-H insisted it was fine because he had his own. It was a completely different style and it looked like he had slept in it the night before. Plus, he wore a bowler derby. Also, he was late and had obviously had too much to drink the night before.

After I made my way down the aisle, ex-H was standing with the BM and a GM about 10 feet away from me and I had to awkwardly motion to him to move closer to me. The local JOP was apparently uncomfortable speaking in front of people, so she said the absolute bare minimum of what was required and the rest was our personal vows to each other that I doubt anyone sitting beyond the first three rows or so could hear. Awful awful awful. But, we were married.

The reception hall was decorated with plastic tablecloths, white lights, balloons, and ivory roses. It was so very tacky. The food had been prepared by family members and the booze was BYOB. The cake was a gift from his aunt and although it looked pretty, it was DISGUSTING.

I am quite certain people do not remember my first wedding in a pleasant light. It was so awkward and tacky, but honestly...it was due to ignorance on my part. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wedding #1
    My FI and I were in the wedding party for of two of my best friends from high school recently.  The whole experience was incredibly stressful, but proved very educational for what I don't want to happen at our wedding.

1.  Bridesmaids were not consulted on budget for dress at any point and bride waited too long to get the ball rolling so we had to pay the rush fee on top of the already overly expensive dresses. Note: all bridesmaids besides groom's little sis were in college so money wasn't super abundant.   

2.  Find out day of the wedding that the bridesmaids are in charge of the brides hair cause she had to cancel her appointment since it was set up 15 minutes before we were supposed to be at the 1hr+ away venue to get ready.  This would have been fine if we had known and the timeline had been set up accordingly, and if we hadn't been trying to make her match the bridal pictures she had already had done with a professional hair-do.  Lots of pressure.

3. On my cars way to the venue - were required to stop and pick up a garter and a fancy pen for the guest book.  We figured the bride needed a toss garter as well so we grabbed 2.  This was just bad planning - didn't mind helping out though - just dang that was last minute.

4. Bride arrives late to get ready so we have to rush through her hair and then she did her makeup so by the time she actually is getting into her dress we were over an hour late getting to the venue for pictures.  Add to this that the MOH had not tried on her dress yet so we spent a while trying to safety pin it to her bra so it would stay up.

5. Father of the Groom and BM can't find the rings - luckily this one turned out okay because the bride had them in her clutch so they showed up by the time the ceremony started and the MOG was able to deliver the brides ring to the BM.

6. The brides bouquet was MIA - eventually found that too.

7.  The wedding was in a lovely garden- but it had rained that morning.  I realize they had absolutely no control over this, but the bride had required us to buy super high nude pumps and we were sinking all over the place.

8.  The ceremony was a bit awkward because the officiant kept forgetting the couples names.  It was super obvious he was trying to come up with the prayer off the top of his head because there were always awkwardly thrown in "Oh Lord"s whenever he wanted to mention the couple by name.

9.  The DJ was the most self-centered person ever.  He pulled the bridal party from taking pictures and rushed us over to be announced.  We walk in - bride and groom are announced and DJ says they will now do their first dance.  He hadn't given us time to bustle her dress so she still had a super long train - which leads to bridesmaids trying to get her dress bustled on the dance floor in front of everyone until the DJ eventually sighs and says that we'll do dinner now instead. 

10.  There was no assigned seating at all for dinner - so the bridal party ended up all over the place.  Overall it wouldn't have been terrible - but since the BP got to go through the buffet first, doing the song release for the tables doesn't work super well since you'll eventually play the song for the table most of the BP is at and everyone else will just have to wait an extra few minutes.

After dinner everything went smoothly until the MOB couldn't find the glasses for the toast so us bridesmaids were running around trying to find them - turns out the bride and groom already had them.  OH!  And then the FOB hit one of the girls cars with the moving van they had rented to take everything home. 

Wedding #2
    Ceremony was lovely...then the 4 hour gap happened.

Then when the reception finally did start - all of the groomsmen wore sombreros and fake stick on mustaches (wedding was on cinco de mayo).  We were in Wisconsin and it really felt out of place - I'm from Texas and it would have felt weird here too, not to mention the fact that I know that at least on the groom's side there is absolutely no Mexican heritage that would make this make sense.  The groom continued to wear them until a few hours later when the DJ pointed out on the mic that it might be nice to at least have a few pics where he looked normal. 

Also - not really bad hosting - but the bride was not feeling well at all, and it really bugged me that the groom spent the whole night partying with his groomsmen while she sat quietly at a  table with her family. 
  • So I have not had the pleasure of attending that many weddings for various different reasons, but one of the weddings I have witnessed, I was asked to work. At the time I was working in the catering business and was asked by a younger co-worker if I could bartend at her brother's wedding. She explained I would be paid $100 and fed for my time, and that if I wanted to, I could even consume some alcohol as long as I didn't get intoxicated. I could tell she was desperate for help as the majority of her friends were below the legal drinking age, so I agreed to do her this favor. 

I am happy that I was not a guest as there were some issues:

1) The ceremony itself was very disorganized and it was a tiered event: some folks were only invited to the reception part of the wedding celebration. Also, I was not really just bartending, I was also setting up the reception hall while guests were arriving some of which were not invited to the ceremony.
    2) There was a very long gap, and to be honest, I am not sure why, except that perhaps the photos took longer than expected since the ceremony and the reception were held in the same location. I was pulled from the bar again and asked to make appetizers as the chef was in the bridal party and was not able to make them. 
    3) No problem, I make the appetizers and am cooking the food and ensuring nothing burned. I keep checking the appetizers and find I am running out of food and the guests are beginning to complain. Thinking its time to start serving food I go check in with the other folks asked to work who were happy to just maintain the bar (which really was just a podium with champagne, red wine, and two kegs) for a little assistance serving the buffet and find there is a now a tip jar placed at the little podium. I don't know why I thought this was rude of them, perhaps because I feel the hosts should have tipped us and I would feel bad if I didn't have cash to tip as a guest, or perhaps it was because they were tipping for drinks as we were running out of food. I also found out later from the groomsmen/chef that he was only paid $300 to provide food for a +100 wedding.  
    4) I start prepping the food to be served: beef stew over white rice and bread rolls. I don't have any serve ware, no ladles, no spoons.. I blame this on the chef but I feel sorry for him because the groom is his best friend and he was in the freaking wedding. I am sure he had a lot on his mind. So, I place the bread rolls out and proceed to rummage through my car and found some suitable utensils in my trunk from prior catering jobs. I am back and so is the chef who expressed how grateful I was for taking care of the food while he was taking care of his friend. I encouraged him to keep being there with his friend and that I would take over the food and cleaning. He tried to give me a $100 tip which I told him was not necessary. I found out later he gave that tip to the guys pouring the wine and beer with the instructions to split their tips evenly and they never bothered to mention it to me. 
    5)Some guests were complaining about the food as I was serving them.. I think this was rude on their part. I just smiled. I ran out of food. Then I ran out of bread rolls. Then there was just the cake left which didn't get cut till everyone was very drunk. 
    6)Guests got wasted and their was a dollar dance.. the bride walked around in her beautiful dress with dollar bills safety pinned to it. I remember thinking, "geez they must be really hurting for cash if she only had $300 to feed her guests." I also thought while feeling bad for her, "but everyone deserves to have a wedding." I hope her guests got thank you cards. 
    7)The music was super loud, the reception was very dark, and there were a lot of speeches after the majority of the guests were overly intoxicated and while people were dancing. It seemed strange to me as most folks didn't seem to be listening.. probably because of the lack of food and plentiful alcohol either hosted and/or smuggled in by guests. 

Just a side note, they had these individually wrapped boxes of jordan almonds as a wedding favor. As I was cleaning up after the reception I ended up throwing a lot of those unwrapped boxes away. No one seemed interested in eating them or keeping them. After that experience and hearing what some ladies have to say about wedding favors, I say skip them if you are on a budget and instead use the money for a better experience for your guests like a dessert bar with take home boxes or in this couples case more food. 

I think if they reduced the gap, eliminated the money dance, had more food, and did not ask the bridal party to work their wedding, it would have been a much more enjoyable wedding for everyone including the friends asked to work.
  • Overall this was a great wedding, just a few issues as a guest.
    The wedding was in a beach town that was a destination for everybody (3 hours from the closest large airport) on July 4th weekend.  Which meant travel was difficult and lodging was expensive and inconvenient, no negotiations could be made on rates or nightly minimums. 
    A few hour gap between the wedding and reception.  Again, everybody is an out of town guest.  
    No parking at the church.  This was not emphasized at any point.  So not only were multiple people late because they had to drive around looking for parking, but many people walked over 15 blocks in heels or a full suit and in the summer heat after they found parking.  
    There was no mention that the cocktail hour would be in soft grass, so everybody in heels were having issues.  
    Again, still a great wedding and glad I went.  It can just be frustrating when you spend a lot of time and money to go to a wedding and you feel like (all) the guests' needs aren't considered.  Maybe I'm just being needy.  
  • LOL I'm not a feminist as my job. I'm a graphic designer.
    I'm a feminist as my job.  I just don't get paid for the feminism specifically.  ;)
  • dgirl82dgirl82 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

I haven’t been to a ton of weddings, mostly family weddings, but a few stand out in memory and not for good reasons.

#1 My cousin’s wedding.  

The entire thing started on the wrong foot when family wasn’t invited to the dinner the night before the wedding.   It wasn’t a true rehearsal dinner because several non-wedding party friends and family of the bride were allowed to go but the rest of us were not.  We were all from out of the area and thought this was pretty rude.  As for the wedding/reception, it was all beautiful but they treated some of us like shit.  They stuck all of the cousins and their SO’s at the ‘kids’ table.  This was like a regular table except that we were the last to be called to the buffet, which was completely spent by the time we had our turn.  We also didn’t get any cake as that was all gone by the time our table was allowed to get some.   They also only had an open bar for some guests, not everyone.  So my dad was given open bar status but I was not  and had to pay 8 dollars for a tiny plastic cup of crappy wine.  The fact that many of us had spent hundreds of dollars and flew across the country to be there for this wedding just made the entire experience worse. This was 8 years ago now and I am still really bitter at my cousin and his wife for this. 

#2 My sister’s wedding. 

Her wedding was also beautiful and for the most part it was great but the DJ sucked and the open bar was manned by just one guy who had never bartended before so it was about a 30 minute wait to get a drink.  The DJ was a cousin who overcharged my sister, played the music WAY too loud and didn’t play a single song people requested.  He just played country music the entire time and played the same songs over and over.   One of my sister’s friends actually got into a shouting match with him about it until  he just turned up the music even more to drown her out.  Oh and my dad got so drunk he blacked out.  Family. J

However, the worst wedding I’ve ever been to was my own, as others have mentioned previously.  My first wedding was just….bad.  I had just turned 23 and had zero idea about etiquette or what was appropriate.  We did drink tickets, then had a cash bar and a dollar dance (ugh).  My ex didn’t even bother to talk to guests, just got shit faced in the bar the entire night with his frat brothers. 

The real stars of the wedding were my sister and my ex BIL.  My sister was underage but figured out if she could flash the bartender he would give her alcohol anyway.  The problem with this brilliant plan was that the bust on her dress wasn’t fitted correctly and she had double sided tape applied to help hold it in place.  Constantly pulling it down plus sweating created the perfect storm of accidentally flashing the entire wedding while she was dancing.  To add the cherry on top of the already amazing cake, she was so drunk she didn’t even realize her top was down until my cousin's wife ran up to help her fix it.  At least I still get to bring this story up when I want to embarrass her. J

My ex-BIL, while not publicly imploding, did manage to out-do my sister for the night.  He had broken up with his girlfriend like 3 days prior to the wedding and as feeling pretty down.  So he proceeded to nearly drink himself to death during the reception.  He disappeared shortly after dinner and my ex-MIL and ex-SIL found him a few hours later naked and passed out in a bathtub full of water suffering from hypothermia.  

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    dgirl82 said:

I haven’t been to a ton of weddings, mostly family weddings, but a few stand out in memory and not for good reasons.

#1 My cousin’s wedding.  

The entire thing started on the wrong foot when family wasn’t invited to the dinner the night before the wedding.   It wasn’t a true rehearsal dinner because several non-wedding party friends and family of the bride were allowed to go but the rest of us were not.  We were all from out of the area and thought this was pretty rude.  As for the wedding/reception, it was all beautiful but they treated some of us like shit.  They stuck all of the cousins and their SO’s at the ‘kids’ table.  This was like a regular table except that we were the last to be called to the buffet, which was completely spent by the time we had our turn.  We also didn’t get any cake as that was all gone by the time our table was allowed to get some.   They also only had an open bar for some guests, not everyone.  So my dad was given open bar status but I was not  and had to pay 8 dollars for a tiny plastic cup of crappy wine.  The fact that many of us had spent hundreds of dollars and flew across the country to be there for this wedding just made the entire experience worse. This was 8 years ago now and I am still really bitter at my cousin and his wife for this. 

#2 My sister’s wedding. 

Her wedding was also beautiful and for the most part it was great but the DJ sucked and the open bar was manned by just one guy who had never bartended before so it was about a 30 minute wait to get a drink.  The DJ was a cousin who overcharged my sister, played the music WAY too loud and didn’t play a single song people requested.  He just played country music the entire time and played the same songs over and over.   One of my sister’s friends actually got into a shouting match with him about it until  he just turned up the music even more to drown her out.  Oh and my dad got so drunk he blacked out.  Family. J

However, the worst wedding I’ve ever been to was my own, as others have mentioned previously.  My first wedding was just….bad.  I had just turned 23 and had zero idea about etiquette or what was appropriate.  We did drink tickets, then had a cash bar and a dollar dance (ugh).  My ex didn’t even bother to talk to guests, just got shit faced in the bar the entire night with his frat brothers. 

The real stars of the wedding were my sister and my ex BIL.  My sister was underage but figured out if she could flash the bartender he would give her alcohol anyway.  The problem with this brilliant plan was that the bust on her dress wasn’t fitted correctly and she had double sided tape applied to help hold it in place.  Constantly pulling it down plus sweating created the perfect storm of accidentally flashing the entire wedding while she was dancing.  To add the cherry on top of the already amazing cake, she was so drunk she didn’t even realize her top was down until my cousin's wife ran up to help her fix it.  At least I still get to bring this story up when I want to embarrass her. J

My ex-BIL, while not publicly imploding, did manage to out-do my sister for the night.  He had broken up with his girlfriend like 3 days prior to the wedding and as feeling pretty down.  So he proceeded to nearly drink himself to death during the reception.  He disappeared shortly after dinner and my ex-MIL and ex-SIL found him a few hours later naked and passed out in a bathtub full of water suffering from hypothermia.  

Oh goodness. O.O That is quite a bad first wedding!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I wish I was making this up... Brace yourselves.

It all started when a close friend of mine got engaged to her high school sweetheart! Hooray! And then they almost instantly, fell tacky/bad etiquette land. 

First received a save the date (addressed only to me, not my live-in boyfriend/now FI), that was lovely except for the bottom which read: "Please note, this is NOT an invitation, simply a kind gesture letting you know the date of our wedding. IF you are actually invited, you will receive an invitation." I...um...wow. Okay.

A few weeks later I get a call from the bride, "Hey Ash! You are going to be a bridesmaid, but not my MOH because we arent really that close of friends. I am having a wine night this weekend so you can all meet each other, hope you can make it!" So, she kind of just demanded, rather than asked me to be z bridesmaid. Also, the MOH comments was totally unnecessary. I didn't expect to be MOH, but it's good to know that you consider us "not really that close". I guess she can have a +.5 point for organizing a bridesmaid gathering before any official pre-wedding parties as we were all strangers? I did appreciate that part. 

She "let us pick our own dresses". I say this because she had a very specific criteria: Black, short sleeves, and be so short that the skankiest of skanks would probably deem it inappropriate for a wedding. Okay, maybe i'm exaggerating. But they were really short. And three of us bridesmaids are not what you would consider "skinny" and were obscenely uncomfortable.

The wedding was at/on a dirtbike track. To each their own, I guess. Except, it was terrible because the "aisle" was a jump ramp thingie that we had to walk down. IN HEELS. ALONE (groomsman stayed at the bottom). Most of us fell and everyone laughed. It has horribly embarrassing.

The reception was AT A BAR, an actual bar, but it was a cash bar. WHAT? Oh, wait... I forgot to mention the 1 complimentary drink: A plastic cup of arbor mist from a punch bowl for toasting. Did I mention that this bar had a gogo dancing cage that the bride danced in? Yeah. And the food? Cold gas station pizza. No, literally. The local gas station "catered" it?

And finally, THEY DID THE DOLLAR DANCE.

There were many more little things, but these were the major ones.
    Super short BM dresses and "aisle" (I recant my earlier statement about the heels. I forgot, those were ditched by the bride in favor of these).image
    MOG 2nd from left:
    Officiant, far left:
    Gogo cage in background:
    Cake topper:
  • I wish I was making this up... Brace yourselves.

It all started when a close friend of mine got engaged to her high school sweetheart! Hooray! And then they almost instantly, fell tacky/bad etiquette land. 

First received a save the date (addressed only to me, not my live-in boyfriend/now FI), that was lovely except for the bottom which read: "Please note, this is NOT an invitation, simply a kind gesture letting you know the date of our wedding. IF you are actually invited, you will receive an invitation." I...um...wow. Okay.

A few weeks later I get a call from the bride, "Hey Ash! You are going to be a bridesmaid, but not my MOH because we arent really that close of friends. I am having a wine night this weekend so you can all meet each other, hope you can make it!" So, she kind of just demanded, rather than asked me to be z bridesmaid. Also, the MOH comments was totally unnecessary. I didn't expect to be MOH, but it's good to know that you consider us "not really that close". I guess she can have a +.5 point for organizing a bridesmaid gathering before any official pre-wedding parties as we were all strangers? I did appreciate that part. 

She "let us pick our own dresses". I say this because she had a very specific criteria: Black, short sleeves, and be so short that the skankiest of skanks would probably deem it inappropriate for a wedding. Okay, maybe i'm exaggerating. But they were really short. And three of us bridesmaids are not what you would consider "skinny" and were obscenely uncomfortable.

The wedding was at/on a dirtbike track. To each their own, I guess. Except, it was terrible because the "aisle" was a jump ramp thingie that we had to walk down. IN HEELS. ALONE (groomsman stayed at the bottom). Most of us fell and everyone laughed. It has horribly embarrassing.

The reception was AT A BAR, an actual bar, but it was a cash bar. WHAT? Oh, wait... I forgot to mention the 1 complimentary drink: A plastic cup of arbor mist from a punch bowl for toasting. Did I mention that this bar had a gogo dancing cage that the bride danced in? Yeah. And the food? Cold gas station pizza. No, literally. The local gas station "catered" it?

And finally, THEY DID THE DOLLAR DANCE.

There were many more little things, but these were the major ones.
    Super short BM dresses and "aisle" (I recant my earlier statement about the heels. I forgot, those were ditched by the bride in favor of these).image
    MOG 2nd from left:
    Officiant, far left:
    Gogo cage in background:
    Cake topper:
    Sorry I had to laugh.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Sorry I had to laugh.
    How could you not? It was SO terribly hilarious.
  • phiraphira member
    @ashley8918 Who on earth was the officiant?
    Anniversary
  • Supposedly he was a "native american shaman" that they knew... yeah, okay.
  • phiraphira member
    Supposedly he was a "native american shaman" that they knew... yeah, okay.
    Well, I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony ... which you couldn't enjoy because you were busy feeling uncomfortable and humiliated from the walk down the "aisle!"
    Anniversary
  • phira said:
    Supposedly he was a "native american shaman" that they knew... yeah, okay.
    Well, I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony ... which you couldn't enjoy because you were busy feeling uncomfortable and humiliated from the walk down the "aisle!"
    yes, exactly. It was SO EMBARRASSING.

• Cake topper:
    Is it me, or do those flowery-heart shaped designs look like laughing faces? I guess they had the same reaction as @lyndausvi ...!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That or some kind of sci fi monster. Plus black frosting is bad, stains everything.
  • That or some kind of sci fi monster. Plus black frosting is bad, stains everything.
  • @ashley8918‌ that walking down that ramp pic is hilarious, but you may want to take down the pics or blur out some of the faces, there have been some crazy stories on here about random people finding personal information and harassing people online as anyone can read these pages (you don't need to be a member)
  • casey8784 said:

Cake topper:

Is it me, or do those flowery-heart shaped designs look like laughing faces? I guess they had the same reaction as @lyndausvi ...!

I totally thought laughing evil faces. Eww to black frosting, like @PrincessOfHavoc‌ said, stains everything.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Supposedly he was a "native american shaman" that they knew... yeah, okay.
    Lmao he's probably their pot dealer and they got him ordained online. I don't know if they're potheads or not it just... sounds right lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @ashley8918‌ that walking down that ramp pic is hilarious, but you may want to take down the pics or blur out some of the faces, there have been some crazy stories on here about random people finding personal information and harassing people online as anyone can read these pages (you don't need to be a member)
    Well. That's absolutely pathetic. But they have been quoted, so it's probably too late at this point.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    edited May 2014
    @ashley8918‌ that walking down that ramp pic is hilarious, but you may want to take down the pics or blur out some of the faces, there have been some crazy stories on here about random people finding personal information and harassing people online as anyone can read these pages (you don't need to be a member)
    Well. That's absolutely pathetic. But they have been quoted, so it's probably too late at this point.
    I'm sure it will be fine but I just wanted to give you a friendly heads up as it was really bad (you can read about it here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1017370/i-m-embarrassed-to-be-considered-a-knottie-right-now/p1 )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards