Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFF

Re: FFF

• Options
    It's unfortunate that me being uncomfortable with something is 'weird.' Not much I can do to change my feelings.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:09c4d399-b869-40ab-b543-a8c86e6e0282">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Midge, did you find out once you got to the party, or did you know before you left the house? You could have stopped and gotten another bag. On one hand, I think dictating what kind of gift people are allowed to give your kid is douchey. On the other hand, I have a problem (rational or not) with all the Disney princess crap.<strong> I think little girls are being raised to think they deserve to be treated like a princess by the entire world</strong>. There's a mentality that goes along with it that suggests a girl is nothing without a strong, rich man rescuing her from the doldrums of her ordinary life. I'm not saying I'm right--I'm just saying I don't like the stuff.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't think that necessarily has to do with princess movies and the like. Kids in general are being raised to think they deserve to have everything in the world handed to them on a silver platter - not just little girls who like princesses. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think princess stuff is harmless if parents tell their kids that, ya know, it's not real. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:bd0d67fa-afd2-4b8d-8c77-287892f1f13c">Re:FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a flame. For the poster at the end of my WWED? Post about getting a kitten vs grieving thread. I wish I could link, but I am on mobile. Anyway, she came late to the party with "you should get an adult rescue cat not a kitten" speech. Listen, I know about rescues, we have an adult cat rescued off the street, and our recently passed cat was also a rescue kitten. I wanted another kitten, we like the age gap between our cats. Get over yourself. Maybe I am feeling super biitchy about it because it's been an emotional week, but that ish rubbed me the wrong way.
    Posted by Nickivegan[/QUOTE]

I think this is how people in rescue groups end up alienating people.  Telling people who are trying to rescue an animal that they are doing it wrong just sours people from rescuing in general.  I'm happy that anyone at all seeks to adopt a pet, I'm not about to make them feel about about how they go about doing it.

Oh, and I thought of a flame. I flame MerandTrick for coming in to I judge on SB yesterday with guns blazing and making offensive and broad generalizations.  Plus, saying that you were able to lose 40 lbs so everyone else should be able to do so hits on a pet peeve of mine.  I hate when someone thinks that because they were able to do something, everyone else should be able to do it. That is great that you were able to lose weight/cure cancer/climb mt. everest/whatever but that does not mean that everyone in the history of everywhere so be able to do what you just did.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We knew beforehand Special, but I asked H if he thought she'd be okay with just the bag before we left and he insisted she would be. She's his sister so I let it go trusting that he would know her better then me.
  • Options
    I do some ETAs sometimes.  I think editing for clarity can help prevent misunderstandings and generally, they can alter the post enough where it could be necessary for people to need to see it like J said.  I also do them sometimes because I don't think it's necessary to do a whole new post.

I think it's a "newer" issue because time was, there was no editing at all.  I think people started adding ETAs so that they wouldn't be accused of changing something in their posts on the sly.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:b85e1a57-8933-4794-93df-5d6a8c1287c4">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : That was my point to her.  You know what I saw at Target the other day?  <strong>A guy wrapping a big ass box in the way back of his SUV, right there in the parking lot.</strong>  It is not hard to stop at Target/CVS/Dollar Tree/the supermarket on your way to a party, grab a different bag, and transfer the shiiiit over. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]
    True story: this is me before every shower/wedding/christening party/birthday party I ever go to.  I never keep wrapping paper or gift bags or tissue paper in the house.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:8e3f177b-0c91-4dfe-91c3-8e7475dbb2ae">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I give up.  I seriously give up. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>?</div>
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is a flame, or more of an I don't get it, but I can't stand when people start whole new threads about bad examples of bad etiquette that they find out in the world.  Elle has one out there right now.  Seriously, what's the point?  Do prizes need to be given for correctly spotting poor etiquette?

When it's in the middle of an already active thread, I hae no problem with it, but starting up a whole new thread is obnoxious, to me at least.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:12fd0ae1-799c-4447-ab52-cd2b627e82ff">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Midge, you knew before hand? Come on, dude. Stop at Walgreens and get another bag.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

Did you not see the part where I asked H about it since <strong><u>it's his sister?</u></strong> I asked more than once too. And I know I didn't mention this part before but Eags had said she was done talking about it in that morning thread so I dropped it. I'm not making this up.
  • Options
    Two Christmases ago, I was desperately trying to finish a sweater for one of H's cousin's little girls. I stayed up the whole night and finished it at 9 AM. I wrapped it, chugged some coffee, then bolted out the door (we were supposed to be there at 11, and it's an hour and a half away).

Two thirds of the way there, we realized we forgot all the other presents. We made an emergency trip to Target, and I wrapped everything in the back seat while H drove.

Midge, you should have gotten another bag. 
  • Options

On the other hand, is it really that big of a deal if the bag that is going to be thrown away has a princess on it? I guess I'd prefer for my children not to be Disney freaks but I probably wouldn't whine about someone giving them a disney gift bag behind their backs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:d5c6fc2e-96a1-4a6c-8290-70041553a1b1">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if this is a flame, or more of an I don't get it, but I can't stand when people start whole new threads about bad examples of bad etiquette that they find out in the world.  Elle has one out there right now.  Seriously, what's the point?  Do prizes need to be given for correctly spotting poor etiquette? When it's in the middle of an already active thread, I hae no problem with it, but starting up a whole new thread is obnoxious, to me at least.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]
    I think this most often comes from newish posters who really want to get involved and don't know that the best way to become a reg is by joining the chat threads.  When I started posting on E, I purposely didn't join in on the morning or evening threads because a) they were really long and b) I didn't feel like I had anything worth contributing.  Having an etiquette faux pas seems in theory like a great conversation starter on the E board...until you realize that most faux pas have been done before, are nothing new, and there's really not too much to say about them except "Wow.  Tacky.  *Yawn*."

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:e9fa7e3c-eeaa-414e-9538-2e5ecbbe9896">Re:FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:FFF: To the first part: yup, and that's what everyone Said. Not sure how that's overkill. To the last part: yup. It's weird. <strong>And no one was 'getting on her' about that. I said it makes me uncomfortable, special agreed, someone else agreed, everyone moved on to mocking meanieface. Ldy? You're reaching. As usual.</strong>
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    TBH, I was reading it and made my comment before I noticed y'all dropped it rather quickly. I just thought it was strange. I'm just really glad you know me well enough to know my "usual." 
  • Options
    What I find funny is that the SIL has probably already forgotten about the dang bag and people here are still talking about it.
  • Options
    You're all right, we should have gotten another bag. We only wanted a Disney bag because the stuff inside was Disney and I'm a freak for themes, no matter what the theme is.

We effed up. All of the parties this actually affects have moved on with our lives.

Point taken.
  • Options
    Well I think it's even more dumb to spend $5 or more on a character or specialty gift bag when you can get a perfectly good plain colored one for $.99.  But I'm cheap and refuse to spend however much on a gift then another $10-15 on wrapping paper/tissue paper/gift bags and cards.  Regardless of what SIL or anyone else requested.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's ok, Ldy. I'm predictable too. It makes the tk world go 'round.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I have a storage bin in the craft closet for recycling gift bags.  I've only bought a few bags in the last couple of years when I didn't have an appropriate bag already.  I will probably never have to buy any baby girl shower bags again. =-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:0c8cc14f-86bb-437b-a05b-f155d3e32d76">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I think it's even more dumb to spend $5 or more on a character or specialty gift bag when you can get a perfectly good plain colored one for $.99.  But I'm cheap and refuse to spend however much on a gift then another $10-15 on wrapping paper/tissue paper/gift bags and cards.  Regardless of what SIL or anyone else requested.  
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes. My cheapness wins. I stock solid colored bags and wrapping paper, or ones with a pattern that isn't specific to any particular gift-giving occasion. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:ea7ac6c7-5b30-41fb-842b-4081fef7d8c5">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a storage bin in the craft closet for recycling gift bags.  I've only bought a few bags in the last couple of years when I didn't have an appropriate bag already.  I will probably never have to buy any baby girl shower bags again. =-)
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

That's like us and wedding gift bags. So many bags.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:ea7ac6c7-5b30-41fb-842b-4081fef7d8c5">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a storage bin in the craft closet for recycling gift bags.  I've only bought a few bags in the last couple of years when I didn't have an appropriate bag already.  I will probably never have to buy any baby girl shower bags again. =-)
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  I have a great collection from the wedding showers and wedding presents.  And when I gave my mom a gift last week, I took the bag back (after asking if she wanted to keep it).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:d6b5aedd-d4e8-4f54-989d-277ab92f6c7e">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're all right, we should have gotten another bag. We only wanted a Disney bag because the stuff inside was Disney and<strong> I'm a freak for themes,</strong> no matter what the theme is. We effed up. All of the parties this actually affects have moved on with our lives. Point taken.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

JFC
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:ff1e7422-bb83-4503-a417-89089da16244">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : JFC
    Posted by Rosie109[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah pretty much.  I'm all about "themes" for gifts, but I know where to draw a line.  If for your shower I buy all your bathroom accessories, I'm not going to insist on a gift bag with a fvcking toilet on it to keep the theme going.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love using wrong themed bags for am occasion. We have so many bags. Oh, your birthday is in June, here's a Christmas bag! A male cousin turning 40, here's a weddig shower bag! But, these are the things that make me happy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nicki, similarly I'm a big fan of year birthday cards.  You're turning 28?  Here, Happy 40th birthday.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:53588c3c-edfb-455f-b2b8-c8ec2f04f5f6">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Yeah pretty much.  I'm all about "themes" for gifts, but I know where to draw a line. <strong> If for your shower I buy all your bathroom accessories, I'm not going to insist on a gift bag with a fvcking toilet on it to keep the theme going.</strong>

<div>snort</div><div>
    </div><div>The theme could have been "birthday."</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:53588c3c-edfb-455f-b2b8-c8ec2f04f5f6">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Yeah pretty much.  I'm all about "themes" for gifts, but I know where to draw a line.  If for your shower I buy all your bathroom accessories, I'm not going to insist on a gift bag with a fvcking toilet on it to keep the theme going.

And neither would I, but I'd probably get one the same color as the stuff in it.

Sorry my gift wrapping habits bother people so much. /endsarcasm
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:2457f55b-612d-4637-b028-6e189212a4da">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : This?  This is snotty. Beach, you just created a niche market.  You could get rich with toilet gift bags. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]<div>When people IRL move on from whatever situation we're discussing, no one on TK is allowed to have an opinion on it any more. Duh. 

</div>
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:e917df2b-c4d8-4f2a-b2e2-b51ddd104c37">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nicki, similarly I'm a big fan of year birthday cards.  You're turning 28?  Here, Happy 40th birthday.  

<div>I love doing this. Last year I got H a "Happy 2nd Birthday" card with stickers inside. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-96?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fb0a289e-b49d-4d83-8b5d-eb94aa74a013Post:622895cb-b9e2-4aa9-8311-22f5a154be2c">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : And neither would I, but I'd probably get one the same color as the stuff in it. Sorry my gift wrapping habits bother people so much. /endsarcasm
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

<div>I couldn't give two shiiits about your gift wrapping habits.  For me it's your obsession with things that you jam down people's throats.  You love Disney, got it.  Your SIL does not.  You love the Reds, got it.  And so does everyone else on TK who can read or see sigs.  We all have things we love, but it doesn't mean we force them on other people.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards