Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it too early for an evening thread?

Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?

• Options
    I like the window when I'm flying alone but I also hate having to crawl over/wake people to use the restroom or get something out of the overhead bins. But I hate airplane restrooms anyway and try to avoid them at all costs.  When I'm flying with H I let him take the window because he's so much bigger.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Good night Aryn.  Glad to hear your first day went well (or so it sounds like). 

When I fly with H I usually get stuck in the middle.  I like the aisle.  it just feels roomier.  I dozed a little on the plane, but I don't usually so I'm not too worried about having something to lean against.  That usually just makes my back hurt from sitting funny.

I'm gonna go see about food.  I'll be back later probably.
  • Options
    Bye Loopy!

Food does sound good. I think I'm going to get dinner started. Mmmm apple salsa chicken!
  • Options
    So I made the promise to myself that this summer I would be busy creating my own art and doing crafts...It hasn't even been a week and I already have no motivation...instead I have read three books.
  • Options
    Poke, that sounds yummy. I see you're branching out a bit, haha. Hockey, better to read books than watch TV. Or you could be like me and hang out on TK all day. It's actually been nice to have places to be today, not to mention, make some money.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Angel: i post in between chapters hahaha
  • Options
    heb557heb557 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I've never ever been on a commercial plane before. I'm terrifed.
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    Note to self: In the future please double check any document that has the word "simulation" in it and make sure you didn't type "stimulation".  Spell check won't catch that one, but your boss will. 

Hockey, I read all of the time too.  A good book can destroy any motivation for doing other free-time things. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:ff8c0878-a26a-4b7e-a169-babea473cbeb">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]8 hours is not a fun plane ride Angel. <strong> I can't wait until I can take that flight with H for a change. It sucks flying all that way by yourself.</strong>
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

I can't wait til you get to do that either! 

My first ever solo flight was flying back home to CA after moving H out here.  Before that I had only flown with H (and before that my last flight was at age 2).  You better believe I was teary and clutching my stuffed Winnie the Pooh (from H) the whole way. Haha.  I'm a pro now though.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Hi all!

I flew too much last year. It's been a blissful six months since I've flown anywhere. We're going out to visit Cali in September, though.

I just got back from returning our Redbox and grabbing McD's for dinner. They had a live Bluegrass band and cloggers in the McDonald's in Pilot Mountain. I live in the middle of no where, that's for sure!
  • Options
    I do not understand the fire alarm at our place. It goes off if we open the over & there is no smoke or anything but it doesnt go off the apartment is FILLED with smoke, and this happens EVERYTIME. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:658250e8-c11a-48c5-834a-b0885e2d9340">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for an evening thread? : I can't wait til you get to do that either!  My first ever solo flight was flying back home to CA after moving H out here.  Before that I had only flown with H (and before that my last flight was at age 2).  You better believe I was teary and clutching my stuffed Winnie the Pooh (from H) the whole way. Haha.  I'm a pro now though.
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]

Where did you move to?
  • Options
    Steffi, we're in Louisiana. I had to stay behind for a few months to work.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Dileni, steam from the shower will set ours off during the winter.  I'm pretty sure that there are evil little demons whose only purpose is to possess smoke detectors. 
  • Options
    Girlie - that's hilarious. 

Angel - I've made this dish before, but with pork chops. I cooked for the whole family instead of just me and added a few slices of apple to cook with them. It was amazing. 

Hurry up food. I'm now starving.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:7cf6ab58-1c33-4c60-b674-040b1473eb28">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Steffi, we're in Louisiana. I had to stay behind for a few months to work.
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, that's a big change from California!

I hate non stop NC to California flights and my mom only flies non stop, so we never fly together. Her family is all out in SoCal, so we usually go visit together. I have to stop somewhere in the middle like DFW or Denver so I can get out of the plane and walk around.

Worst Flight Ever was either Newark to John Wayne or Philadelphia to LA. I was rerouted due to weather in the midwest both times and those were some long flights!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:7956fd6f-7306-4404-830e-28afcf20efb2">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dileni, steam from the shower will set ours off during the winter.  <strong>I'm pretty sure that there are evil little demons whose only purpose is to possess smoke detectors. </strong>
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

<div>There are. Ours beeps constantly to tell us the back up battery is low. So we took out the battery. It kept beeping. We took it off the ceiling. It kept beeping. For twenty minutes. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:bfd035f9-c633-4824-95c3-af0dba2ece96">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never ever been on a commercial plane before. I'm terrifed.
    Posted by heb557[/QUOTE]

H used to think it was so strange that I hadn't been on a plane. Well, I had technically flown twice but was 1 and 2 years old and obviously have no memory of it so it doesn't count. My mom became terrified of flying so we never did again. I'm glad I've finally overcome that fear she instilled in us.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    DH hasn't been on a plane since he was 3. He's flying out to Cali with me in September, which should be exciting.
  • Options
    My last plane ride was Vegas over 2 years ago. I have no idea when my next one will be, since I don't know if we're going to be able to take a honeymoon.

Just got the other little girl to bed, so now I get to chill until the parents get home. I haven't heard from FI all day, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing him later, but I'm thinking I'd rather just go home and watch Gossip Girl. I'm a season and a half behind and I'm catching up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_is-it-too-early-for-an-evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d187a3ee-e44d-4ca2-a29a-cc231eb460d5Post:3386807a-ee34-40cb-84e9-941dae984f81">Re: Is it too early for an evening thread?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for an evening thread? : Ahhh, that's a big change from California! I hate non stop NC to California flights and my mom only flies non stop, so we never fly together. Her family is all out in SoCal, so we usually go visit together. I have to stop somewhere in the middle like DFW or Denver so I can get out of the plane and walk around. Worst Flight Ever was either Newark to John Wayne or Philadelphia to LA. I was rerouted due to weather in the midwest both times and those were some long flights!
    Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite...I absolutely love flying nonstop to/from LAX. It's only about 3.5-4 hours depending on which way we're heading. I still get a little nervous at takeoff and landing and I hate trying to find my connecting flight so the fewer stops, the better.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I've only ever had nonstop flights. My first ever flight in my memory was from ATL to Washington, and I was about 12. My next flight after that was October 2009 to England - again, nonstop. I dont' know if I could handle connections lol.
  • Options
    heb557heb557 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I feel bad that H and I never go on a long distance vacation due to my fear. But I think we both want to go to Disney next April, which means I'll be facing my fear head on..
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • Options
    I'm Meh about planes.   Don't love them, don't hate them either.   My first flight was around 8 or 9.  My first  completely alone flight was at 17.  By the time I was 19 I was flying to Japan by myself.  

DH is a PITA to fly with.  He is so damn picky about his seat.   It drives me nuts.   Now on short flights we both get aisle seats next to each other.  DH will not sit in the middle.  I'm not a fan, but will as a last resort.     Long overseas flights we sit together.  Most of those planes are laid out 2 seats, 4-5 seats, then 2 seats.  We've been lucky to get the 2 by the window.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Our flights to Vegas had a layover in Salt Lake City.... that's when I decided I will only fly non-stop from now on. It's annoying having to get off and on planes, kill time, etc... not to mention it makes me super nervous for my luggage to have to switch flights, etc.
  • Options
    Berkeley still gets her terrier terrors -- she races around the place like a mad dog.  She'll be 7 next week.

I like the aisle seat, but since H likes the window seat (he likes to fall asleep leaning against it), I end up in the middle seat.  :/  

The first year of our relationship, H lived in a small town in FL, and I was in CA.  There were no direct flights to Gainesville from LA, so I ended up on a lot of hopper flights (I flew to FL 7 times that year) from either Charlotte or Atlanta.  And I was doing a lot of work in Salt Lake City and had to fly there 4 times that year.  I got a lot of frequent flyer miles that I have since used up when we went to Peru last year.
  • Options
    The easiest time I've had with connections was flying home from Cali after I had food poisoning out there. I was still so weak I couldn't walk and the airlines carted me around.

Heb - I always fly with a Xanax or Ativan or two. I'm terrified of heights and claustraphobic. I deal with it on my first flight, but once I'm on my second flight I take one and I'm out for good. Or, if there is wireless so I can settle in and work I can focus on that. But, otherwise I get really twitchy.
  • Options
    I pretty much never go anywhere without an Ativan or two. My anxiety can strike pretty much anywhere, and it sucks when I'm not prepared. I try to breathe through it regardless, but when I know I don't even have my medicine with me, I tend to feel even more anxious. Imagine that...

• Options
    I don't check bags either.

DH's grandmother was very ill and passed last year and his mom couldn't drive on the highways. Grandma was in Pittsburgh, we are in Charlotte. So, from April - August I'd drive one way to Pitt and fly the other. And, I made two California trips last year, my grandmother is 90. And, I flew home from somewhere he was working - I think Wilmington, NC but I can't remember. I flew too much, the security crew in Greensboro knew me by name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards