Wedding Etiquette Forum

Mosque in NYC

Things are slow so I thought I'd see what opinions are on the mosque that will be built near Ground Zero.

I personally think it's in poor taste of the Muslim community there but I think that if it's private property and that where they want to build it , it is their right to do so. 
My Bio Updated 4/6/10

Re: Mosque in NYC

• Yeah I'm with you hill - Is it their right?  Definitely.  But they had to have known that this would generate some backlash.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:5a9cf5f5-f7a6-4051-a7bb-ddfdb6fd1c0a">Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally think it's in poor taste of the Muslim community
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]

why? Because crazy ass extremists did something awful 9 years ago and you think a whole community of people should suffer? people who have beliefs of peace?

that's really ignorant, sorry, I can't even sugar coat that.
  • I'm more scared of the bed bugs in NYC than people going to worship in a Mosque.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eh, I can see why some people might not like it, but ultimately I don't see it as a big deal.  It's not ON Ground Zero, just near it. 
    You know, religious freedom and all that. 
  • edited August 2010
    Wasn't America founded on the belief of freedom of religion? How quickly we forget.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think it's insensitive - it's 2 blocks away from the WTC; it used to be a Burlington Coat Factory, for pete's sakes.  This "hallowed ground" stuff is ridiculous.  

How far away do you think they'd have to be before it is not "insensitive?"  

Also: ditto Angie74.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:c321a7be-93e3-4af2-b775-8d268b1423d3">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Mosque in NYC : why? Because crazy ass extremists did something awful 9 years ago and you think a whole community of people should suffer? people who have beliefs of peace? that's really ignorant, sorry, I can't even sugar coat that.
    Posted by angie74[/QUOTE]

Co-signed,
    Celles
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:c321a7be-93e3-4af2-b775-8d268b1423d3">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Mosque in NYC : why? Because crazy ass extremists did something awful 9 years ago and you think a whole community of people should suffer? people who have beliefs of peace? that's really ignorant, sorry, I can't even sugar coat that.

I completely agree. One opponent asked, "What if someone built a Christian church in Baghdad?" Someone did. There are Christian churches everywhere. There are mosques everywhere. There are people of different faiths... everywhere.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh my god Hillary.  I seriously just gasped out loud at that.  Really.  How goddamn ignorant.  Incredibly so.

Yep, I posted a link about this when Obama threw his weight behind it. Obviously, I can't tell you about what the US news says, but I can tell you that to me, when you react with love instead of hate, you're doing so much more than the people who flew those planes into the towers could ever understand. They would think of it as weak, but I think of it as strong.

Nothing ever changes what happened that day. I mean, if they wanted to create an area of sanctity around that area, then they shouldn't be building on the site again. You can't say "That area is sacred" while building the largest monstrosity the world has ever seen. It just doesn't work.

When I see a debate like this, it causes me a physical pain because I don't want my country to be seen as mongers of hate. We are sometimes, but with something that is infinitely minuscule in the grand scheme of life- why does it have to bring such enmity? Those righteous Christians who think this is a desecration against god should recall that Jesus promoted tolerance, love and the turning of the other cheek against your foe. Humility, sacrifice and love are the cornerstones of the Christian faith, and it's about time that some of them start remembering it.

I feel positive that this community center will be built, it will be successful, and the news will find something else to report. But in the meantime, it makes me distinctly ashamed to be American. Though, I can say this for us-- at least we're not trying to ban all forms of Islamic female head cover.
  • I think a lot of the facts around it in the media are being skewed - as I've heard from other sources, it's not entirely a Mosque but also an Islamic community center?  I would imagine it's like a YMCA with a prayer room type thing?

And then the fact that it's not exactly ON Ground Zero too.

panther
  • I really think the media is making this into a much bigger story than it should be.  I personally don't have any issue with it.  
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:693b71d6-f1fa-4356-a606-01daedf995a9">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's insensitive - it's 2 blocks away from the WTC; it used to be a Burlington Coat Factory, for pete's sakes.  This "hallowed ground" stuff is ridiculous.     How far away do you think they'd have to be before it is not "insensitive?"     Also: ditto Angie74.   I 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Ditto. 

Also, I hate that the media made this a political issue.  "People of NYC.  Hate that a mosque is being built on private property close to ground zero?  Blame your senator, governor, mayor, and vote republican in the next election"  yeah, so that people's freedom of religion can be squelched?!  This infuriates me.  This mosque issue is NOT a political issue, stop blaming your politicians for this!
  • Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Not all Muslims are terrorists.  These generalizations make America seem so racist. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:fdb7944c-683e-496c-a70c-6d20924aa482">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a lot of the facts around it in the media are being skewed - as I've heard from other sources, it's not entirely a Mosque but also an Islamic community center?  I would imagine it's like a YMCA with a prayer room type thing? And then the fact that it's not exactly ON Ground Zero too.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Beware of the Islamic extremist point guards, everyone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • *Applauds Amoro*

Well said.  And I agree completely.
    Some people just feel the need to be angry and hateful about something all the time.
  • The KKK considers themselves a Christian organization. Some members believe that God sanctions their racism and violence.  If the KKK went and blew up a synagogue and then a Christian church wanted to build a place of worship near the site to promote healing and tolerance, no one would blink. No one would even stop to question it.

Until we start being honest about what our problem is, we'll never get anywhere. Be honest: a lot of Americans are uncomfortable with Muslims. Period. The truth is uncomfortable. But all this talk of "poor taste" and "hallowed ground" is a flimsy lie. 
  • I'm so tired of hearing about it, TBH.  I think that it's sick that people equate the Muslim community with the extremists who caused 9/11.

That's like equating all Baptists with the Westboro Baptist Church.  Completely inaccurate and prejudiced.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Did you know Obama is a muslim.  I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  mmhmmm, he sure is!

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:7de10eee-dbe8-4dbd-b00f-b514eae8e50a">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I'm with you hill - Is it their right?  Definitely.  But they had to have known that this would generate some backlash.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the point here? 

Some ignorant, fear-mongering bigots are up-at-arms over American citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to worship who they please, as they please, where they please -- which, by the way, is one of the freedoms our government would like us to believe our soliders are dying for -- ... and your response is "well, they should have known"? 

You know what?  They probably DID know.  Because hatred is predictable.  But that's definitely NOT a reason for an entire segment of the US population to be forced into hiding their beliefs from the rest of the country, let alone apologizing for them.

btw, most of the Muslims died who died on 9/11 were victims, not hijackers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:c321a7be-93e3-4af2-b775-8d268b1423d3">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:

I completely agree with this. I don't understand at all how some people think it is insensitive or how they shouldn't be allowed to build there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:db966ac5-a1ad-4b40-b589-3031ed7b6632">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you know Obama is a muslim.  I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  mmhmmm, he sure is!
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

And that he was born in Kenya and not the US.  NOBODY HAS SEEN HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE, GUYS, SO IT MUST BE TRUE.

I find it hard to believe that there are really people THIS idiotic.  But it's true.

• Amoro, have I recently told you I love you?  Because I totally do.
  • edited August 2010
    I think it sucks that this is even an issue, and I agree that the majority of opponents sound so unbelievably racist it makes me sick.  I suppose I could see not wanting to go there if I was Muslim, simply because all of the ignorant bigots out there would make me afraid for my life. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:1cfa0906-eba2-44ad-a7c8-ad471e39234a">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mosque in NYC : And that he was born in Kenya and not the US.  NOBODY HAS SEEN HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE, GUYS, SO IT MUST BE TRUE. I find it hard to believe that there are really people THIS idiotic.  But it's true.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>I can introduce you to one of those people. I call her "Mom", but you can call her Noreen. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:2f027a7a-af03-4a8c-8353-f18fc4ffb324">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, look at his name, Shelley.  How could you NOT know? Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

There are a bunch of people on my community forum who insist on calling him "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" -- just like that, with his middle name capitalized.  Because, you know, he's practically the same person as Saddam.

I live in the Middle Of Nowhere, Arizona.  It's embarassing.
  • So, andyandhillary, exactly why do you think it's "in poor taste"?  What do you think of the other viewpoints expressed here?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:db966ac5-a1ad-4b40-b589-3031ed7b6632">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you know Obama is a muslim.  I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  mmhmmm, he sure is!
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

This brings me to another tangent.  Obviously, we know he's not, but even if he was, would it be such a BFD?  I know I couldn't care less what religion our president is, as long as he's a good leader. 
    I know, to a lot of people, it would. I like Manda is right in that so many Americans are just afraid of Muslims, period. If you're going to be against something (the mosque in NYC), fine, but at least be honest about it.  Admit that you're racist. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:d7426236-9986-4ba9-97e5-7ee4be74c5b2">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mosque in NYC : I can introduce you to one of those people. I call her "Mom", but you can call her Noreen. 
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

High five, Noreen!

• I really don't mind. It's not an actual mosque and it's not on the site of ground zero. The previous tenant at that location was a freaking Burlington Coat Factory. OMG HOW SACRED! Most people who are against it are bigots who have never met a Muslim and are afraid of some amorphus brown terrorist menace. (Seriously, read this week's Time article.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mosque-nyc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:76e4ffe4-5560-4d07-94a7-712b2622cde5Post:396f6fd4-20f8-4128-9bfc-6a8a28150e4a">Re: Mosque in NYC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mosque in NYC : What exactly is the point here?  Some ignorant, fear-mongering bigots are up-at-arms over American citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to worship who they please, as they please, where they please -- which, by the way, is one of the freedoms our government would like us to believe our soliders are dying for -- ... and your response is "well, they should have known"?  You know what?  They probably DID know.  Because hatred is predictable.  But that's definitely NOT a reason for an entire segment of the US population to be forced into hiding their beliefs from the rest of the country, let alone apologizing for them. btw, most of the Muslims died who died on 9/11 were victims, not hijackers.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the fact that they "should have known" automatically means that they shouldn't build there.  It's America, sheesh, they can build where they want.

For me, personally - I just generally like to avoid conflicts of that nature.  But that's just me.  I'm relatively unconfrontational.  I don't particularly like to get up in people's faces all the time to just make a point.  I do think that this entire debate is a really great opportunity to make some GREAT points for the majority of Muslims - who are non-violent - that hate and intolerance, no matter who its directed at, is not okay.  Of course they knew there would be backlash - but I didn't mean that the impending backlash should have forced them to reconsider.  I should have been a little more thorough.
    panther
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards