Wedding Etiquette Forum

What are your etiquette deal breakers?

Re: What are your etiquette deal breakers?

• Actually I did write a check printed out there honeymoon fund voucher and gave it to them on there wedding day. It was cute the voucher was sweet and you know what my friends thank you card was of her and her husband having espressos in Paris. And since the voucher was for that it was so much more thoughtful and sweet. So I personally have nothing against it.
  • I am doing a store registry and a honeymoon registry. For the honeymoon registry, we are doing things like, host our first night dinner at such and such a restaurant in such and such a town or help us do some sightseeing and we picked out items we wanted to do. 
    I don't really think this is an issue as I have done this at other people's weddings and it doesn't bother me. We aren't doing it as a shameless request for money. We both have our own apartments and our own stuff that we have been collecting a purchasing for almost 10 years. we don't need or want to throw half of our stuff away to make room for other "stuff" people buy us. 

So a honeymoon registry is a nice thing so that we can have people participate without us having to come up with more stuff for people to buy us. Just some thoughts from someone who is doing a Honeymoon Registry. We are NOT doing a dollar dance. Those are just tacky I think. 

I appreciate everyone's thoughts since I am currently planning my wedding, but some of you are asking a lot for the bride and her family to pay for everything. What's wrong with a cash bar? I've gone to LOTS of weddings and paid for a drink. It's not the family is making money off of you. 
  • Wow. Where's the etiquette deal breakers for guests? 

In defense of B-lists, I'm planning a wedding I can afford and have LOTS of friends and family I'd be honored and would love to invite. You're put in the unfortunate position of planning for the wedding you can afford or doing something else tacky like a cash bar to stretch the budget. I understand your feelings are hurt for being put on second string but understand where the couple is coming from, they'd love to have you there on their happy day but they can't have everyone there. Close family comes first and might butt out friends and family you love but aren't sure you can include right away. 

Same goes for not inviting your SO, if it's important to you, ask if you can bring them, if not then kindly decline your invitation. It's simple and polite and you don't have to hold a petty grudge you complain about on the internet later.
  • lyndausvi said:

I have never even heard of a wedding without a gap between the wedding and reception. When are people suppose to take pictures?! COCKTAIL HOUR!! COCKTAIL HOUR!!  As in one hour to 90mins tops.  Then get your ass to the reception because ppl are waiting for you to show up so that they can eat and party with you. 

Pictures DO NOT need to take 2 hours or more.  If you want to take pictures at 20 different locations then set up a Rock the Dress/Trash the Dress session for another date with your photographers and your husband. . . because your bridal party doesn't want to be dragged all over God's green earth to stand around and watch you take pictures for 2 hours.  They'd rather be eating, drinking, and socializing with the rest of your guests.

Want to take 1000 family portraits?  Do that at the reception, after dinner. 

I just grab a drink with friends attending the wedding or run home and freshen up. No big thing!   What were you doing during the wedding ceremony that you needed to freshen up afterwards?  Aerobics?  Wrestling?  I have never needed to freshen up after a wedding ><

I always wonder what kind of ceremonies need refeshing afterwards.  Most gaps seem to be caused by Catholics,  as someone who grew up Catholic and have been to more weddings then I can count I don't get it.

It's not a deal breaker for me.  I have to attend one in the fall.  OOT wedding for me.  All the people I know at the wedding are in the WP, including DH.    I just can't wait to figure out  what I'm going to be doing for those hours while they are all taking pictures.   
    I know in my circle it's common place to wear one thing to the ceremony (like a pants suit or something less flashy) and change for the reception/wear more dramatic make up/change hair, etc.  But that's also probably because people are so used to gaps that they started that tradition.

And even though they are normal in my circle, they are such a pain in the ass that oftentimes people opt to skip the ceremony and just go to the reception.  Which obviously is also rude, but when you have 3-4 hours in between, you have to kind of expect that.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Actually, not at all lazy, I read through a bunch of the thread to what I thought was the end, but I'm new to this particular board interface and thought I'd reached thread's end when really I hadn't.

Or they wrote when you were typing, but we have so many people that just ignore the middle comments. I didn't mean to jump on the angry train. It is just something that happens so often. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think electronic save the dates are bad etiquette. We are having a DW with my fiance's family coming from all over the country and even some from out of the country. We send an RSVP form which allowed guested to give us their most current address to sent the official invitations to, we were also able to ask about things like number attending and dietary restrictions to give us the best idea moving forward. The form could be completed in under a minute.

We also go a good sense of who was really interested in coming and who wasn't family wise early enough to be able to extent the invitation to more people. You can call it a B-list and brand me with a scarlet B but our venue only hold 250. This why of sending out the save the date this way allowed us to have a bigger list with out inviting more people than we had room for. 

This venue was picked specifically with the guests in mind as it is centrally located in a very walk able city. I haven't arrange for travel from the airport to the hotel, but considering we are hosting a Friday dinner for ALL wedding guests, the wedding and reception and a farewell brunch Sunday, I'm sure our families will understand. Plus, everyone is coming in at different times on different airlines and figuring out transportation to the hotel would be a nightmare. 

I understand both arguments on this page, but at the end of the day I think any guest getting offended over something someone has chosen to do at their own wedding is ridiculous. 

The only wedding I say no to are back home because flying back home for a wedding can just be more than I can afford sometimes.

• VLDicus said:
    We also go a good sense of who was really interested in coming and who wasn't family wise early enough to be able to extent the invitation to more people. You can call it a B-list and brand me with a scarlet B but our venue only hold 250. This why of sending out the save the date this way allowed us to have a bigger list with out inviting more people than we had room for. 

I also had a DW and believe me, STDs are no indication of who is actually going to come.  A lot of people will say yes right away and then look at their budget and realize they can't go and then others will say no, but then realize that they want to go.

I wouldn't invite over what you can afford and what your venue can hold.  

Just remember, if you send someone an STD, you have to send them an invite, even if they decline early on.
  • I'm new. Can someone please define what PPD and gap mean?
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Question for all the special snowflakes who think their honeymoon registries are awesome......

What are guests to do if they absolutely refuse to give money in any shape or form?  Or are so offended by the thought that you are so rude and tacky to list a honeymoon registry even if you do have another registry? 

If I was invited to a wedding with a HM registry listed anywhere, you are getting a empty card from me.  I refuse to give cash for weddings.  It is very impersonal.  So since I won't give cash, and all you have listed is a HM registry,to me you have asked for no gift when in essence I would have LOVED to get a beautiful pricy gift from your registry.  So you are not allowed to talk about "how they came to our wedding and didn't even give us a gift".

• MAESADER said:
    I'm new. Can someone please define what PPD and gap mean?
    This is not the right thread to be figuring out all this stuff. Go read some other threads, starting with the stickies.

• Question for all the special snowflakes who think their honeymoon registries are awesome......

What are guests to do if they absolutely refuse to give money in any shape or form?  Or are so offended by the thought that you are so rude and tacky to list a honeymoon registry even if you do have another registry? 

If I was invited to a wedding with a HM registry listed anywhere, you are getting a empty card from me.  I refuse to give cash for weddings.  It is very impersonal.  So since I won't give cash, and all you have listed is a HM registry,to me you have asked for no gift when in essence I would have LOVED to get a beautiful pricy gift from your registry.  So you are not allowed to talk about "how they came to our wedding and didn't even give us a gift".

You know that you can just go and buy a gift from a store?  You don't have to go off of any registry.  

You know that you can just go and buy a gift from a store?  You don't have to go off of any registry.  

** STUCK IN BOX ***
    2 of my most favorite gifts were hand made gifts.    It think @hisgirlfriday13 often knits, sews a blanket or quilt as wedding gifts (can't remember which)   I'm actually sad I wasn't her real life friend when I got married.  I LOVE hand made blankets and quilts.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was once a regular at a message board, pinkshorts, so I totally understand the aggravation acquainting newbies can bring. Thanks for the follow up comment!
  • lyndausvi said:

Question for all the special snowflakes who think their honeymoon registries are awesome......

** STUCK IN BOX ***
    2 of my most favorite gifts were hand made gifts.    It think @hisgirlfriday13 often knits, sews a blanket or quilt as wedding gifts (can't remember which)   I'm actually sad I wasn't her real life friend when I got married.  I LOVE hand made blankets and quilts.
    I really hope my aunt makes me a quilt. She does them for weddings and big anniversaries. I got a small one for my graduation. I'm hoping I'm getting lucky enough for a big one for our bed. She does amazing work!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WOW - I am amazed at some of these comments. Time's have changed and things are WAY different then they used to be.

Making it special for the bride and groom is what is important. If things become out of budget don't feel like you need to break the bank to provide free alcohol or that by not having an open bar people will want to leave. This should be the least of your concern.

Not everyone has unlimited budgets to do everything perfectly or to invite everyone they want to. I can guarantee people will still be pissed off about something EVEN if you provide a perfect timeline, constant entertainment and free booze.

If you want a theme wedding HAVE ONE, if guests are that turned off by what you are asking them to come dressed in DON'T GO! If the invitations state black-tie and you don't want to dress up that much, then don't, BUT - be ready to stand out.

I have no idea what the dollar dances are all about so I will leave that alone.

I know I have NO interest in meeting tons of people for the first time the day of my wedding. I want to be surrounded by loved ones and not someone's fling of the week. I agree that if they are married or have been together for a long period of time, yes you invite the significant other EVEN if you don't know them. BUT, if you have single friends and don't have a huge budget to work with DON'T feel bad telling them they can't bring joe shmo to the wedding. IT'S ONE NIGHT! If they care about you they will understand.

Maybe some people would prefer cash over another mixing bowl from Crate & Barrel. Maybe they spent so much on the wedding they are in a ton of debt and would like to pay a little bit off. If you plan to spend X amount at Crate & Barrel what's the big deal about putting X amount of cash in a card instead?

You may need to do a tiered wedding becasue your dream venue for the ceremony only fits 20 but you have 200 on your guest list. IT'S YOUR DAY! Don't completely change your vision because some guests might be offended. Everyone should understand and if they don't, screw them!

Unfortunately you can't please EVERYONE so there will always be some that didn't like this and some that didn't like that. BUT, if you concern yourself with to much of this you are going to over stress yourself and before you know it the wedding becomes about the guests and not about the two of you!

I am not looking to start any sort of argument with any of you. I am a bride in the process of planning and have come to realize you cannot please everyone, you NEVER can. So, instead of going grey and having a few anxiety attacks making sure you haven't offended this person or that person .. ENJOY it and worry about YOU and your SOON-TO-BE-HUBBY!

Do what you want. It's your wedding. It's your day. ENJOY IT!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards