Chit Chat
Options

Not trying, but not being as careful...

Re: Not trying, but not being as careful...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    But those groups came from somewhere didn't they?

I guess they did. I'm really not too savvy on the history of some of the NFP terminology. It's just terms that couples use to classify where they are in their desire (or lack thereof) to have a child at that moment.

ETF Boxes
  • Options
    I'm fucking done here. 
  • Options

Um, the abstaining portion of NFP is completely a form of birth control. You are controlling the possibility of a future birth by keeping your legs closed for business. That's as sure as it gets.

-----------------------------------
    This. Why would this be offensive? It 100% is birth control.

Do you know what actually IS offensive? Calling me a murderer for making the right (and perfectly okay and legal) choice for myself by terminating a pregnancy.

Look, I don't expect you to agree with it.  I don't expect you to get it.  For Catholics, using any form of artificial birth control is a grave sin.  When people call NFP "Catholic Birth Control", Catholics get frustrated because we are not doing anything to alter our bodies or to deliberately prevent pregnancy.  It is a very different mindset for us than using "regular" contraception.

Here's what our church explicitly teaches:  (Source:  http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2370.htm)
    2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality. These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom. In contrast, "every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" is intrinsically evil:

Thus the innate language that expresses the total reciprocal self-giving of husband and wife is overlaid, through contraception, by an objectively contradictory language, namely, that of not giving oneself totally to the other. This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love, which is called upon to give itself in personal totality. . . . The difference, both anthropological and moral, between contraception and recourse to the rhythm of the cycle . . . involves in the final analysis two irreconcilable concepts of the human person and of human sexuality.

For us morally, there is a huge difference between taking a pill every day or slipping on a condom before sex and practicing NFP. As I said, I realize that this is not a POV that many have. I'm just letting you know where we are coming from.

-------------------

But it isn't about whether or not I agree with your views on artificial birth control. It's just totally non-sensical to be offended by calling NFP to avoid birt control.

Birth control is how one controls whether or not they are going to get pregnant (to the best of their ability). You do that with NFP. I do that with an "artificial" IUD. Both are birth control methods.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I'm fucking done here. 

--------------------------

That is wise.
  • Options
    Um, the abstaining portion of NFP is completely a form of birth control. You are controlling the possibility of a future birth by keeping your legs closed for business. That's as sure as it gets.
    ----------------------------------- This. Why would this be offensive? It 100% is birth control. Do you know what actually IS offensive? Calling me a murderer for making the right (and perfectly okay and legal) choice for myself by terminating a pregnancy.
    Look, I don't expect you to agree with it.  I don't expect you to get it.  For Catholics, using any form of artificial birth control is a grave sin.  When people call NFP "Catholic Birth Control", Catholics get frustrated because we are not doing anything to alter our bodies or to deliberately prevent pregnancy.  It is a very different mindset for us than using "regular" contraception.

Here's what our church explicitly teaches:  (Source:  http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2370.htm)
    2370 Periodic continence, that is, the methods of birth regulation based on self-observation and the use of infertile periods, is in conformity with the objective criteria of morality. These methods respect the bodies of the spouses, encourage tenderness between them, and favor the education of an authentic freedom. In contrast, "every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" is intrinsically evil:

Thus the innate language that expresses the total reciprocal self-giving of husband and wife is overlaid, through contraception, by an objectively contradictory language, namely, that of not giving oneself totally to the other. This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love, which is called upon to give itself in personal totality. . . . The difference, both anthropological and moral, between contraception and recourse to the rhythm of the cycle . . . involves in the final analysis two irreconcilable concepts of the human person and of human sexuality.
    For us morally, there is a huge difference between taking a pill every day or slipping on a condom before sex and practicing NFP. As I said, I realize that this is not a POV that many have. I'm just letting you know where we are coming from.
    ------------------- But it isn't about whether or not I agree with your views on artificial birth control. It's just totally non-sensical to be offended by calling NFP to avoid birt control. Birth control is how one controls whether or not they are going to get pregnant (to the best of their ability). You do that with NFP. I do that with an "artificial" IUD. Both are birth control methods.
    Remember the discussion a few weeks ago about gender reveal parties and how people distinguish between gender & sex?  (http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/7529061#Comment_7529061).  I'm telling you that to a certain religious group, wording matters and it can offend.  How you choose to respond to that is a reflection of your character.
  • Options
    Who said I'm judging.   I'm saying abortion = murder and therefore if you engage in the act it is.

You seem to want to have the ability to do something without consequences.   The callousness stated, "Well if I get pregnant then I'm going to have an abortion," is absolutely offensive to me because it's life.

I'm not telling you to go rot in hell for it but I'm saying that at the very least, it shouldn't be discussed as flippantly as it was.   

• Options
    Remember the discussion a few weeks ago about gender reveal parties and how people distinguish between gender & sex?  (http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/7529061#Comment_7529061).  I'm telling you that to a certain religious group, wording matters and it can offend.  How you choose to respond to that is a reflection of your character.
    Right, just like how calling someone a murderer would offend them. Not sure if you'd noticed the above exchange.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    banana468 said:
    I'm fucking done here. 
    Get ahold of that Matthew 7:1, you need it.

Scroll down a bit more in Matthew 7; it's not all warm & fuzzies.
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    beethery said:
    banana468 said:
    I'm fucking done here. 
    Get ahold of that Matthew 7:1, you need it.

Scroll down a bit more in Matthew 7; it's not all warm & fuzzies.
    We all know people like to take shit out of context from the bible, don't we? That bye gif applies to you as well.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    edited January 2015

-----------------------------------
    This. Why would this be offensive? It 100% is birth control.

Do you know what actually IS offensive? Calling me a murderer for making the right (and perfectly okay and legal) choice for myself by terminating a pregnancy.

-------------------

But it isn't about whether or not I agree with your views on artificial birth control. It's just totally non-sensical to be offended by calling NFP to avoid birt control.

Birth control is how one controls whether or not they are going to get pregnant (to the best of their ability). You do that with NFP. I do that with an "artificial" IUD. Both are birth control methods.

--------------------------------------

Except that that isn't the same at all. Gender and sex actually mean different things.

Birth control is a general term that encompasses many different methods of CONTROLLING BIRTH.

And don't you fucking dare attack my "character". You, of all people, have no room to go there.
  • Options
    ----------------------------------- This. Why would this be offensive? It 100% is birth control. Do you know what actually IS offensive? Calling me a murderer for making the right (and perfectly okay and legal) choice for myself by terminating a pregnancy.

------------------- But it isn't about whether or not I agree with your views on artificial birth control. It's just totally non-sensical to be offended by calling NFP to avoid birt control. Birth control is how one controls whether or not they are going to get pregnant (to the best of their ability). You do that with NFP. I do that with an "artificial" IUD. Both are birth control methods.
    -------------------------------------- Except that that isn't the same at all. Gender and sex actually mean different things. Birth control is a general term that encompasses many different methods of CONTROLLING BIRTH. And don't you fucking dare attack my "character". You, of all people, have no room to go there.
    And for us, Natural Family Planning and birth control are different things.  
  • Options
    I vote for not having an anti vs pro abortion debate today :)
    Too late. Banana brought that shit out for no damn reason.

Ugh.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    beethery said:
    Too late. Banana brought that shit out for no damn reason.

Ugh.
    Exactly. There was no reason that abortion needed to be brought into this. Thanks Banana. 
  • Options

Seconded. People have very clear views on this and going back and forth and insulting the other will not change anything.

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    edited January 2015

-------------------------------

Too late. When it was brought up unnecessarily, that ship sailed.

And this isn't even about whether or not anyone believes abortion is wrong or a viable option. It's about not being an asshole about someone else believes differently.
  • Options
    Don't say you're going to have an abortion and expect me to be OK with it either.    

Respecting beliefs also means that statements like this shouldn't be said either:

My plan to not have another includes having an abortion straight away, if my IUD were to somehow catastrophically fail. 100% effective. 

And apparently I'm already a murderer. THROW MY ASS IN JAIL!

• Options
    ------------------------------- Too late. When it was brought up unnecessarily, that ship sailed. And this isn't even about whether or not anyone believes abortion is wrong or a viable option. It's about not being an asshole about someone else believes differently.
    Exactly. If you want to be pro-life, that's cool. But don't call me a murderer and expect me to be all fucking sunshine and unicorns about it. 
    Okay I am not taking sides here, but I will say that Catholics are taught that abortion is murder.  If you follow that faith and believe the teachings then she is just stating what she was taught and believes.

So to be surprised or offended that someone who doesn't believe in abortion thinks that those who do believe in abortion are murderers is kind of silly.  I mean, that is not a hidden belief pro-lifers have, is it?

• Options

emmaaa said:

Seconded. People have very clear views on this and going back and forth and insulting the other will not change anything.
    Exactly.  

We all know who is on what side of this debate and I think it's wise to not engaged in this topic.  I fear the result will come with consequences we all would not like to see.

I can't tell you what to post and yes threads have a way of going on tangents, but I would prefer we go back on topic here.     

I'm heading to lunch soon with my DH, I really am not in the mood to come back to a shit show. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    If I could just fuck my wife like bunnies and get her knocked up, I totally would. She'd still want to chart. She likes that shit, she's Type A, I'm type like Q or something.

And as for abortion:
    I'd be just as thrilled if a baby saved from abortion was gay or straight.  What matters is that the child lives.

And I am very open about the fact that if I met a woman considering an abortion, I would be willing to adopt that child.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Don't say you're going to have an abortion and expect me to be OK with it either.    

Respecting beliefs also means that statements like this shouldn't be said either:

My plan to not have another includes having an abortion straight away, if my IUD were to somehow catastrophically fail. 100% effective. 

I don't remember anyone asking your opinion on abortion. 

And seriously? If I was respecting your beliefs, I'm still allowed to express my beliefs. And that means saying, "if I got pregnant, I'd have an abortion. And I'm OK with that."

MagicInk said:
    banana468 said:

So because Ashley's plan for a potential pregnancy (and IUDs are 99% effective, we're talking about a >1% chance) involve's something you don't agree with, she can't talk about it? 
    As with all threads on here, everyone is allowed to state their opinion on anything that is posted.

And anyone is allowed to post whatever they want as long as it does not violate the TOS.

So if someone does not agree with abortion they are allowed to state their beliefs.  Same goes for those who do believe in abortion.  To say that no one asked their opinion on the subject is like when a bridezilla says "I didn't ask you your opinion on whether I kick out my MOH."  But if you provide the information then it is up for grabs.

But as long as you (general you) are confident in your beliefs why would you let someone who has an opposing stance get under your skin.  The fact that a pro-lifer sees abortion as murder should not be shocking to anyone on.  So why get offended?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards