Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Holiday Confessions

Re: Holiday Confessions

• Options
    Chubby it is so annoying!  I would never, ever take someone else's wedding photos and make family gifts from them. I usually let things go but I am going to be fired up about this for a long time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:462a1b0e-93b6-424a-8974-4185a761b047">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, another one. I told my FIL about a month ago what we were going to get MIL for Christmas.  She loves Jackie Evancho and since she just realeased a DVD/CD, it was perfect.  She unwraps it and says, "I just bought this last week when we were at Target." (she can't drive so he was with her)  We look at him.  "Oops.  I forgot," he says.  And who the heck buys themselves something so close to Christmas anyway?  Gah.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

My dad is FAMOUS for doing this! It drives my mother crazy. A few days before Christmas, he'll run out and splurge on himself, and inevitably get something that my mom had already bought for him for Christmas. Haha.
  • Options
    OMG, Mel, you're getting married this weekend!  I just thought of that.  YAY!
  • Options
    I confess that I feel terrible about my FILs giving me gifts. I accept them gratefully and they were things that I want, but I know that they are incredibly strapped for money right now, and I could have been easily skipped on for gifts and would've not minded one bit. Of course they are too kind to do so, so I am just going to be incredibly grateful, but I just feel badly. We are staying at FILs right now for a few days and right now FFIL is out fixing my dead headlight with FI and I feel bad because it is his vacation time from his ridiculously demanding job. I also get spoiled at my side of the family too, and I wish they would scale down the gifts for once. Oh well, I just am thankful for my family and FILs in the end.

Also, I confess that I was totally excited when I realized that my brother loved my gift even more than I thought he would. I made him one of those no sew fleece blankets with the Vikings on it, and he just loves it. He's 14 and loves all things sports, so he's been raving about it to everyone. It's a small victory, but pleasing a 14 year old boy is not easy to do!
  • Options
    My SIL revealed this brilliant plan she has to mate her dog and sell the puppies on Craig's List because ZOMG she'll make sooooo much money.

As if there are not enough unwanted pets in the world, this nimwit wants to add more.

I am so tempted to snatch her dog and have her spayed secretly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE IF A CHILD IS BAPTIZED?!?! In my religion I guess, children are innocents. If they die before they get baptized, it's all good because they aren't old enough to knowingly commit sin yet. So why worry about them when they're young.

We're not baptizing our kids as kids. They will be raised in church, but will have to make that decision on their own. I was baptized at 10 and had no concept of the meaning. I feel silly doing it again though.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    See, I dont think I see an issue with getting a kid baptised for other folk. If it's important to them and they want to pay for it, whatever. But I'm not athiest, just agnostic, so I'm sorta like "I mean, I GUESS if it helps them out one day, that's cool...it probably won't, but I guess it's cool to have a backup plan"

I also haven't thought this through, so I'm sure y'all will have valid reasons to help me change my mind lol
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:757c22af-5499-4f07-8c89-85348f31d215">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : See, I don't know. I still haven't made up my mind about that book. The way everything went down, sure. But who was causing the Dome...eh?
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Edited to remove really obnoxious spoiler
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:52703c1b-9c2f-4525-8154-fb85a44ab5ad">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My SIL revealed this brilliant plan she has to mate her dog and sell the puppies on Craig's List because ZOMG she'll make sooooo much money. As if there are not enough unwanted pets in the world, this nimwit wants to add more. I am so tempted to snatch her dog and have her spayed secretly. 
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

I hate people like that. SIL wants to do that to her pug. Poor dogs. I refuse to buy a dog from a breeder or some moron on craigslist. Rescue pups all the way.
  • Options
    Yeah, II KNOW MEL. I was saying I don't know if I like that. I WAS TRYING TO NOT GIVE AWAY THE SECRET TO OTHERS. Gah. Way to go.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:86b71404-ba63-4fc4-ab2e-0d0f818c6240">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : Why are you paying her?! I would say that I'm surprised she'd even take your money, but based on what you've said about her, I'm really not surprised at all. But I definitely would have just asked her to do it as a favor rather than offering money.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

We've had her cat sit a LOT before and we always pay her a fair rate - because in my mind, I'd be paying a pet sitter anyway and I'd rather have someone who knows my cats and who I trust do it. Plus I know she needs the money. (See: her FB status EVERY DAY.) Granted, we always paid her before she lived with us. When she was living with us, we would go away for the weekend and expect her to feed the cats for free, since she was living there. I think she MAY have changed the litter once or twice when we were out of town too. *eyeroll*

I'm like you. I always offer favors for friends. But then I have friends who try to sell me their stuff and I'm all, "why would you SELL something to a friend?" I just don't get trying to wring money out of people I know, but maybe that's just me. And that's why I'm not that good at finances.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    LVB, I was baptized as a baby, and that's how it's usually done in the church I grew up in (United Methodist). Then at 13 you go through the process of confirmation, which is when you become a member of the church and go to classes to actually learn about what you're signing up for. I thought most Christians were baptized as babies.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:b3f981ac-cc7b-4fac-8ce7-1f6979fc43b2">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not baptizing our kids as kids. They will be raised in church, but will have to make that decision on their own. 

<div>This is how I feel about it. Besides the being raised in church part because that's not our style, but if when our child gets a little older and decides that is something they want to do for him or herself, then more power to them. </div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:8e9de319-dd53-4e3f-9421-c452a30cb428">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought most Christians were baptized as babies.

<div>I was baptized as a baby, but my dad was baptized at the same time as I was. He was 25. </div>
  • Options
    I'm a really bad Methodist. I know that's how it's done there and I really, really don't agree with it. To me, there's no meaning in it for the person it's meant for. It's a show for everyone else. But I 'converted' from Baptist 2 years ago and we do it when they're older. We kinda do it the other way. It's presented and welcomed into the church as a baby and then baptized when it's older.
  • Options
    Oh and facebook was irritating me on Christmas.  Some chick I went to HS with is a notorious facebragger and I had her blocked for awhile because I couldn't take it but I recently added her back to my news feed for entertainment.  I was also very curious to see her Christmas pictures because she is constantly talking about how her 2 daughters (7 & 8) are spoiled brats and she loves it. 

Anyhoo.  For Christmas she bought each daughter a kindle, a Juicy Couture purse & wallet, Juicy Couture t-shirts, digital camera, lots of Abercrombie boxes and Tiffany's charm bracelet.

Seriously?  I believe her & her husband are in the military & I just can't fathom how they could afford such an extravagant Christmas.  It seemed like way too much designer crap for little girls.   And I feel bad for her daughter's future husbands already. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, H was baptized at 25.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:922a6347-cf06-466d-bdbc-cb4a5a2093cf">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, I dont think I see an issue with getting a kid baptised for other folk. If it's important to them and they want to pay for it, whatever. But I'm not athiest, just agnostic, so I'm sorta like "I mean, I GUESS if it helps them out one day, that's cool...it probably won't, but I guess it's cool to have a backup plan" I also haven't thought this through, so I'm sure y'all will have valid reasons to help me change my mind lol
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for other religions, but as a Catholic, you vow as parents and godparents to raise your child in the faith.  So I'm with Salt...I'm not going to go lie in a church to alleviate the misguided concerns of relatives that belive the devil's gon' jump out the sidewalk and grab my heathen baby. 

We picked guideparents for our children, of varying religions, and hope that by learning of their beliefs, our beliefs, and other beliefs that they'll be able to make informed decisions about their OWN beliefs when they're old enough to understand such things. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:4f018011-be0f-4a52-9082-2dafed47448e">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : My mom keeps asking for the pics from the wedding. I've shown them to her, but I'm waiting to sit down with the photogapher and H to pick out pics for the album we got with our package so I can be like "here mom! album and DVD of pics, enjoy!" She managed to get H to burn her a copy of the DVD this weekend. WTG, mom. Way to ruin your surprise.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

My mom is printing up pictures from our wedding DVD for her friends.  I don't mind, as they weren't on my gift list anyway.  But I would be pissed if she did that for someone I was planning on giving a framed picture to on my own.  I had to give my mother and MIL their wedding albums early because I was worried someone would do something silly with the share site.  It's ridiculous that I have to worry about these things, but some people do the shadiest things.
  • Options
    I should have clarified: most Christians born to Christian parents and raised in the church. I just thought that most variations of Christianity encouraged baby baptizing rather than waiting until someone's older, so I was surprised to hear LVB say that in her church that's not the case.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:52703c1b-9c2f-4525-8154-fb85a44ab5ad">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My SIL revealed this brilliant plan she has to mate her dog and sell the puppies on Craig's List because ZOMG she'll make sooooo much money. As if there are not enough unwanted pets in the world, this nimwit wants to add more. I am so tempted to snatch her dog and have her spayed secretly. 
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

Ew.  Ew.  Ew.  Some people should not be allowed to be pet owners.  She's just randomly going to mate her dog and thinks there'll be a great market for the puppies?  Has she not seen the overflowing shelters?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:8e9de319-dd53-4e3f-9421-c452a30cb428">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]LVB, I was baptized as a baby, and that's how it's usually done in the church I grew up in (United Methodist). Then at 13 you go through the process of confirmation, which is when you become a member of the church and go to classes to actually learn about what you're signing up for. I thought most Christians were baptized as babies.

True story. I was raised Presbyterian and it's very similar.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:7c2053bc-fcc7-4629-8567-06feb6c74501">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : I can't speak for other religions, but as a Catholic, you vow as parents and godparents to raise your child in the faith.  So I'm with Salt...I'm not going to go lie in a church to alleviate the misguided concerns of relatives that belive the devil's gon' jump out the sidewalk and grab my heathen baby.  We picked guideparents for our children, of varying religions, and hope that by learning of their beliefs, our beliefs, and other beliefs that they'll be able to make informed decisions about their OWN beliefs when they're old enough to understand such things. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

"Guideparents" I like that. Yeah, okay, that's so not what I was thinking. I was raised Methodist (poorly, I think we stopped going to church when I was about 7).

LVB - are you talking about a baby dedication?
  • Options
    I had an awesome Christmas - it was just H and FIL (who I love).  My only gripe is that my father got me chicken for Christmas.  That's right - 4 sets of frozen chicken breasts from Omaha Steak Company.  He got really exicted and wanted to get my older sister steak - I don't eat steak.  Since we always get the same things....I got chicken.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:eb34438c-5c2f-4065-9cde-c39507b40489">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, II KNOW MEL. I was saying I don't know if I like that. I WAS TRYING TO NOT GIVE AWAY THE SECRET TO OTHERS. Gah. Way to go.

Oh.  See, I did not see what you were doing there.  It's fine.  We're not friends again. 

(I liked it.)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:ceb40fda-883f-453b-96d9-fac31a62af74">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions :  It's ridiculous to get a child baptized just because other people want you to.
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

True Story: BIL & SIL aren't religious, but MIL is a former nun and VERY Catholic. BIL & SIL have already gone to a church in MIL's town and LIED through their teeth to a minister about how they are looking to move to said town and are looking for a home church and want to have their daughter baptised there. So guess where I am going to be in 2 weeks. The hilariously ironic part is they are now expecting their 2nd child and I can't wait to see how they go about getting that one baptised after they never move.

I feel bad about even going to this display and can't believe they lied to a minister like they did. I'm not religious at all either, but damn, that's cold.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also, LVB, I see what you're saying about baptizing babies, but I disagree. I don't think it's a show, it's more that the meaning is, as Mel said, parents and godparents promising to raise their child in accordance with their faith which, if you believe in that faith, is a pretty important commitment to make to your child from early on. I don't think that's meaningless even if the baby isn't aware of the meaning in that exact moment.

That said, I am now not at all religious and have no plans to raise my children in the church.
  • Options
    I have never heard of "Guideparents", but OMG I LOVE IT. We are definitely going to do that too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards