Wedding Etiquette Forum

Holiday Confessions

Re: Holiday Confessions

• We do baby dedication instead of baptism. Baptism is for later when a person chooses to accept Christ.

This reminds me that I really want to schedule one with my pastor friend but we don't go to his church so I need to figure out how that will happen.  I don't want his congregation to think we're full of it by dedicating her in their sanctuary and then disappearing forever.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Dedication. That was the word I was thinking of!
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:4cae2ae8-2154-4e6e-b63b-06cf4ec89c1b">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : Oooh.  I remember you! I still don't believe he spent that much on beer, buuut that's me. Can I just say that I'm f-ing tired of our families not sending us *anything* for the holidays OR for our birthdays?  We live in Europe, not fucking Timbuktu.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I feel you, not even a card this year, cheers
  • Oh! I forgot the other thing my friend owes me money for! My bachelorette party. At one point, she had the money in her hot little hand. Then my other BM said, "oh, don't worry about it, we'll take care of it later." I was thinking to myself, "bad call!" A few days later when we were talking about it she was "totally broke" so the money was no where to be found. Yeah, she basically got to go to my weekend-long bachelorette party for free because BM2 and I paid the whole thing. This was after my BM was VERY clear that it would cost x amount per person and she agreed to it.

I also loaned her money about 2 years ago, expecting to never get it back, and bought her a wardrobe when she moved into my house because we didn't have extra closet space for her, which she was going to take with her to her new apartment. Then it broke. Either way, that was money down the drain.

Like I said, I just prefer not to even think about it. Because I could keep a running tab in my head - and then I get all worked up like I am now.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I've never been baptized and I don't believe that I'm going to hell because of it.  I believe in God, but not organized religion, so it would be weird if I went to a church just to get baptized in a faith I don't follow.  I think my personal relationship with God trumps some old guy putting water on my head....

My grandma is uber-Catholic and was pretty upset when my parents told her they didn't plan on baptizing us, but she's gotten over it.  She's pretty tolerant to the fact that not everyone is a Catholic.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:937b4bec-c172-4e46-b607-2914407a7ed7">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should have clarified: most Christians born to Christian parents and raised in the church. I just thought that most variations of Christianity encouraged baby baptizing rather than waiting until someone's older, so I was surprised to hear LVB say that in her church that's not the case.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

I think Baptists Baptize when the person is "ready". They don't Baptize babies.

I wasn't raised as any particular denomination, but was Baptized as a Methodist when I was 18. My mom was Baptist and my dad went to a Christian church, but we all became Methodists. I identify myself as a Methodist, but of the gazillion churches around here that we have to choose from, we'll probably end up going to either a Baptist church or a Presbyterian church.

My H is Pentacostal (raised Baptist). I'll never be Pentacostal and he'll never be Methodist (we want different things from church), so lately we just haven't gone to any church. Right now, I just don't feel that urgent about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:e413be8a-4cdb-417b-8fce-4736c10bddd7">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, LVB, I see what you're saying about baptizing babies, but I disagree. I don't think it's a show, it's more that the meaning is, as Mel said, parents and godparents promising to raise their child in accordance with their faith which, if you believe in that faith, is a pretty important commitment to make to your child from early on. I don't think that's meaningless even if the baby isn't aware of the meaning in that exact moment. That said, I am now not at all religious and have no plans to raise my children in the church.

And that's why we do baby dedications. We promise to raise the child in the church. But we like to leave it up to them when they get older. We feel it has more meaning for the person to make the decision to continue their journey with God on their own. Like, we start them on the 'right' path, but they have to choose to follow it.

Are there any other Baptists out there? I can't be the only one who's church does it this way....
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:c5c75b27-a08d-405b-9fba-0c211482bd42">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh! I forgot the other thing my friend owes me money for! My bachelorette party. At one point, she had the money in her hot little hand. Then my other BM said, "oh, don't worry about it, we'll take care of it later." I was thinking to myself, "bad call!" A few days later when we were talking about it she was "totally broke" so the money was no where to be found. Yeah, she basically got to go to my weekend-long bachelorette party for free because BM2 and I paid the whole thing. This was after my BM was VERY clear that it would cost x amount per person and she agreed to it. I also loaned her money about 2 years ago, expecting to never get it back, and bought her a wardrobe when she moved into my house because we didn't have extra closet space for her, which she was going to take with her to her new apartment. Then it broke. Either way, that was money down the drain. Like I said, I just prefer not to even think about it. Because I could keep a running tab in my head - and then I get all worked up like I am now.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

THIS is why you shouldn't have to pay her to catsit and she shouldn't expect it.  She should be falling all over herself doing favors for you if she doesn't have any money.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:14b8cb9d-18e6-4b00-94e7-84032ac1da4d">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : Ew.  Ew.  Ew.  Some people should not be allowed to be pet owners.  She's just randomly going to mate her dog and thinks there'll be a great market for the puppies?  Has she not seen the overflowing shelters?
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

She is the biggest moron ever.  First she asked me if my dog Elvis was neutered because he is cute & would make adorable puppies with her Cocker Spaniel (she bought the dog in the mall pet store one day as a treat to herself).  I probably got a little preachy with her so she tried to defend herself and said she already has a group of friends lined up to buy the puppies.  She doesn't understand that those people may not keep the puppies for life.  If they turn them over to the shelter (which I'm sure they will) she is just adding to the problem.  She mentioned that I offended her on facebook because I posted something about not supporting puppy mills & purchasing dogs from pet stores.  She said shelter dogs were gross mutts and she wanted a pure bred Cocker Spaniel.  Well, her pet store dog came with an ACC registration that isn't even real.  It's just a puppy mill gimmick that people buy into and think their dog is so super great with awesome genetics.  I don't have anything against people who properly breed dogs (of course I wish everyone would rescue) but please don't buy from a freakin pet store. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:c07d3c8e-4697-4d86-84f9-cc3dd72ad137">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : THIS is why you shouldn't have to pay her to catsit and she shouldn't expect it.  She should be falling all over herself doing favors for you if she doesn't have any money.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I already offered to pay her, but I do agree with you. I might find a way to casually bring up, "Oh, did you ever repay Oliver for that bus ticket?"
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • And Mery has a New Year's resolution: stop giving money/gifts/anything to deadbeat friend!
  • Pink, she sounds like an idiot.

I had a coworker who got a Pit Bull (I don't know from where) and declared he was going to breed him so he could "earn his keep." Cause breeding dogs ia SUCH a cash cow. Undecided
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:a2790d72-2ae6-4284-a546-183f7c59f2b1">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : She is the biggest moron ever.  First she asked me if my dog Elvis was neutered because he is cute & would make adorable puppies with her Cocker Spaniel (she bought the dog in the mall pet store one day as a treat to herself).  I probably got a little preachy with her so she tried to defend herself and said she already has a group of friends lined up to buy the puppies.  She doesn't understand that those people may not keep the puppies for life.  <strong>If they turn them over to the shelter (which I'm sure they will) she is just adding to the problem</strong>.  She mentioned that I offended her on facebook because I posted something about not supporting puppy mills & purchasing dogs from pet stores.  She said shelter dogs were gross mutts and she wanted a pure bred Cocker Spaniel.  Well, her pet store dog came with an ACC registration that isn't even real.  It's just a puppy mill gimmick that people buy into and think their dog is so super great with awesome genetics.  I don't have anything against people who properly breed dogs (of course I wish everyone would rescue) but please don't buy from a freakin pet store. 
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]
    Wait, where do you get that? How do you assume everyone is shiity pet owners and don't want to keep dogs?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:43f08698-42a7-49f2-8ea6-ca32ebce31c3">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]And Mery has a New Year's resolution: stop giving money/gifts/anything to deadbeat friend!

Seriously.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I've been to a bazillion baby dedications. I called them "Christenings" and I was kinda berated for that, actually because it was a "Dedication. Not a Christening."...looks like I suck.
  • Mery, you need to cut that friend loose!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LVB, it sounds like it's sort of a question of semantics then. You guys do dedications and then baptisms, my church did baptisms and then confirmation (like I said, most people do it at 13, but if you don't want to you can do it whenever you do decide you want to become an adult member of the church).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:a2790d72-2ae6-4284-a546-183f7c59f2b1">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holiday Confessions : She is the biggest moron ever.  First she asked me if my dog Elvis was neutered because he is cute & would make adorable puppies with her Cocker Spaniel (she bought the dog in the mall pet store one day as a treat to herself).  I probably got a little preachy with her so she tried to defend herself and said she already has a group of friends lined up to buy the puppies.  She doesn't understand that those people may not keep the puppies for life.  If they turn them over to the shelter (which I'm sure they will) she is just adding to the problem.  She mentioned that I offended her on facebook because I posted something about not supporting puppy mills & purchasing dogs from pet stores.  She said shelter dogs were gross mutts and she wanted a pure bred Cocker Spaniel.  Well, her pet store dog came with an ACC registration that isn't even real.  It's just a puppy mill gimmick that people buy into and think their dog is so super great with awesome genetics.  I don't have anything against people who properly breed dogs (of course I wish everyone would rescue) but please don't buy from a freakin pet store. 
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

That makes me want to vomit.

However, that's how H's family feels about dogs. H is trying to get me a basset hound from a breeder, I've shown him a million Basset rescues and told him that for whatever breed he's looking for he can always find a breed specific rescue and that "mutts" can be some of the most loving animals ever. I think I'm creating a convert. I'm proud of your for standing up for what you believe in :)
  • Yeah, sorry Mer, she just seems like she's taking advantage of you.  You deserve better friends.
  • I see it as a little more than semantics. Because we consider our children 'innocents' that can't go to hell. I'm not sure when the cut off for that is though. So to us, baptizing a baby is kinda pointless. They need to choose God themselves, not just get a free pass because we did it when they were babies. But it's just a different way of thinking I guess. Certainly doesn't hurt anything to have it done when they're babies!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:304618c3-5c35-45ce-90c8-73aaf588bc0c">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pink, she sounds like an idiot. I had a coworker who got a Pit Bull (I don't know from where) and declared he was going to breed him so he could "earn his keep." Cause breeding dogs ia SUCH a cash cow.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

OMG.  I met this lady who bred her dog & was selling the puppies to get back what it cost to buy the dog "to even things out."  What is wrong with people? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pink - my step-sister decided that she wanted to breed her lab so she could "show her kids the miracle of life"  - and then she'd just advertise the puppies in the newspaper or something.  Like you couldn't show your kids another way? 

lvb - I think that irresponsible pet breeders typically don't make the best decisions on who they are going to give their puppies to. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LVB her friends suck.  I can't even explain to you how these people are, you just need to experience it.  I am positive they just want a cute puppy and do not understand that a dog is a 15 year committment.  But whatever.  If these people prove me wrong then that is a great thing for the dog. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with Andy on that, LVB. I think that, in general, when a BREEDER (or moron) breeds animals, they're doing it for money and will pretty much give a dog to anyone who will pay. Animal shelters and rescues don't give people animals that they can't/wont take care of or who dont have the right means and environment to take care of an animal.
  • But that doesn't mean that the owners are going to be shiity people themselves. I mean, yes of course it's possible. But I don't think you can just assume that everyone she sells the puppies to are going to just turn around and give them to shelters.
  • Thats true, and to that, I'll look at Pink's post where she says her SIL's friends are idiots lol. I assume you posted that before her post was up.
  • Okay, because we're talking about dogs, I had to put up a super cute pic of X because, it's just precious and I have to. Feel free to ignore this post and move on.

• I have a silly confession. I just e-mailed my friend's sister/MOH to see if she needed help planning any kind of bridal shower - not that I can really help from Chile, but I am a bridesmaid and wanted to be involved in the conversations. Sister responded "thanks, I actually sent you your invitation a couple weeks ago, it must be in the mail - I'm throwing her a lingerie shower on Jan. 9." Obviously it's totally her prerogative to throw a shower all by herself, and like I said I wouldn't have been much help anyway, but I was looking forward to e-mails among the bridesmaids about what to do and when to do it and general excitement that this person we love is getting married, and I'm a little bummed that's not happening.

And yes, I realize this is better than the alternative to being presented with a bill or forced into planning, but still. I said it was silly.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holiday-confessions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec45a3c0-4b3a-4af4-88a4-16051397692cPost:d1dd0274-ff3e-467a-915a-b9442c7a3e6f">Re: Holiday Confessions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the consenus on this board that those people who have to give up dogs for one reason or another are total scums of the earth and should be publicly flogged.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I just have trouble understanding why people who can't keep a dog don't try to find a good home for it, rather than dash it off to the shelter.  My parents had to give up a dog when I was little, and they found a home for it.  My sister had to give up a dog when she got a divorce, and it lives on an awesome farm now.  I have trouble believing people wake up one morning and have to get rid of the dog so quickly they can't try and find a good home for him/her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards